Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Woodscrew "stripped threads"

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:05:29 +0000, newshound
wrote:

The trouble I find with dowels (either ready made or cut from ramin) is
that they are fine grained, and wood screws don't really like going
along the grain. I used to get better results by putting in a squirt of
glue, hammering in a few sharpened matchsticks, and waiting for it to
dry before trimming neatly to length with a sharp chisel. Perhaps
slightly quicker than TMH's wood filler, although I have used that
successfully for slightly larger repairs.

You can get a "plug cutter" that will cut a cross-grained plug...

This set here
https://www.dictum.com/de/werkzeuge/holz-metallbearbeitung/fraes-und-bohrwerkzeuge/rund-konusschneider/701865/zylindrische-und-konische-duebelschneider-satz-8-teilig
does tapered and parallel, but the max length is 25 mm.

This one
https://www.dictum.com/de/werkzeuge/holz-metallbearbeitung/fraes-und-bohrwerkzeuge/rund-konusschneider/707472/fisch-zapfenschneider-satz-5-teilig
does 70 mm, but costs a lot more...

There's even tapered drill and matching plug cutters soemwhere, for the exact
purpose of repairing holes. Japanes, I think, and eye-wateringly expensive.

All work similarly: drill out the worn screw hole, tap in tapered plug cut from
similar wood with glue, plane even, start afresh.

Thomas Prufer