Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Woodscrew "stripped threads"

On 21/12/2015 10:57, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Glue in some dowel in the oversized holes when it has set drill out pilot holes and screw back the hinge. Alternatively re-position the hinge so the screws are going into fresh wood. If the hinges are in recesses then these will have to be redone and the old recesses filled, but being an out building you may not be that fussy. Try a rain deflector on the bottom edge of the door a see if that helps.

Richard

The trouble I find with dowels (either ready made or cut from ramin) is
that they are fine grained, and wood screws don't really like going
along the grain. I used to get better results by putting in a squirt of
glue, hammering in a few sharpened matchsticks, and waiting for it to
dry before trimming neatly to length with a sharp chisel. Perhaps
slightly quicker than TMH's wood filler, although I have used that
successfully for slightly larger repairs.