Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 20:27:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas.

Bah Humbug. (It's the season so I can do that).

Recommending a generator is one of my standard replies. If the load
can tolerate being down for the time it takes to start the generator,
then above some number of kilowatts, a generator is cheaper and
better. However, if the load needs to be up 100% and can't tolerate
even a few milliseconds of downtime, then a UPS is required. For
loads that need both fast switchover, and long run times, both a UPS
and a generator are best. For example, the local PSAP (public safety
answering point) has a rather large bank of batteries and a very big
UPS system, which will run most of the emergency center for maybe
10-15 minutes, long enough to get the generator started, synchronized,
and stable.

For my self at home, there are only a few things I want to keep
powered up in the event of a power failure. Mostly the internet stuff
and one laptop and monitor. All of those now run either directly from
a battery at 12V, or from a small DC to DC converter. No UPS needed.
(Edison was right. DC rules). Unfortunately, I have a few things
that insist on AC power, so I have a small UPS to run my desktop. That
will eventually go away as I switch to small computahs.

Anyway, my point is really that the quality of the answer largely
depends on the quality of the question.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558