Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS

So what is a recommended UPS based on lack of repair experience?
Say around 1000W and say around $150 new.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 20:27:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas.

Bah Humbug. (It's the season so I can do that).

Recommending a generator is one of my standard replies. If the load
can tolerate being down for the time it takes to start the generator,
then above some number of kilowatts, a generator is cheaper and
better. However, if the load needs to be up 100% and can't tolerate
even a few milliseconds of downtime, then a UPS is required. For
loads that need both fast switchover, and long run times, both a UPS
and a generator are best. For example, the local PSAP (public safety
answering point) has a rather large bank of batteries and a very big
UPS system, which will run most of the emergency center for maybe
10-15 minutes, long enough to get the generator started, synchronized,
and stable.

For my self at home, there are only a few things I want to keep
powered up in the event of a power failure. Mostly the internet stuff
and one laptop and monitor. All of those now run either directly from
a battery at 12V, or from a small DC to DC converter. No UPS needed.
(Edison was right. DC rules). Unfortunately, I have a few things
that insist on AC power, so I have a small UPS to run my desktop. That
will eventually go away as I switch to small computahs.

Anyway, my point is really that the quality of the answer largely
depends on the quality of the question.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 11:27:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas.

I think happy hannuka(sp) might be more appropriate.

At any rate, Lieberman has alot of good knowledge and experience and is not stingy with it. With the exception of a couple of assholes, nobody here has anything but good to say about him. I'd pick up some steaks, beers and good smoke and go see him if he wasn't two ****ing thousand miles away in that other planet they call Cali****ingfornia.

I don't see how he can stand it there. Alot of people are moving to Arizona from there where the jail inmates wear pink panties. Less crime. But the weather is better than Arizona, where if your car breaks down they find skeletal remains of your body. If you haven't been to the dentist they ID you by the VIN on your car.

But that is going to change. A good piece of that coast is about ready to drop off into the ocean. Actually they should try to help global warming in California because then instead of losing the whole state all at once, they will just lose it a little bit at a time.

Now up here when your car breaks down the meat is well preserved. Kinda like Canada. See, we got the best of both worlds, zero to one hundred almost every year. Like living in Africa and Antarctica at the same time. You think health insurance costs ? Try heating and cooling a house in Cleveland ! That's why the Rothschilds ad Rockefellers don't live here, they would go broke. And they ain't stupid.

(what did I just say there ?)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 13:58:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 11:27:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas.

I think happy hannuka(sp) might be more appropriate.

Standards committees were invented well after Judaism. Therefore,
spell it any way you find convenient and nobody will complain because
there is not one true correct spelling.

At any rate, Lieberman has alot of good knowledge and experience
and is not stingy with it.

Any rate? I have only one rate. I charge $75/hr no matter what I'm
doing. Also, do try to spell my name correctly. There are two "n"
letters at the end. One is a spare in case I get rear ended.

With the exception of a couple of assholes, nobody here has
anything but good to say about him.

I presume you haven't seen some of the email I receive. The most
common accusation is that I tend to "humiliate" people. I don't
really like to do that, but it works so well that I can't resist.

I'd pick up some steaks, beers and good smoke and go see him if
he wasn't two ****ing thousand miles away in that other planet
they call Cali****ingfornia.

I think my last steak was about 10 years ago. I don't do beer or
booze because I'm excessively sensitive to alcohol. Smoking killed my
mother and several relatives, so that's also out. Fortunately, I have
other vices that can be accommodated and do accept bribes.

At the last neighborhood road committee meeting, we ran an informal
survey of where everyone had previously lived. I came from Smog
Angeles. The rest were from the north-east or great plains. No
locals. California is the standard destination for everyone.

I don't see how he can stand it there. Alot of people are moving
to Arizona from there where the jail inmates wear pink panties.
Less crime. But the weather is better than Arizona, where if your
car breaks down they find skeletal remains of your body. If you
haven't been to the dentist they ID you by the VIN on your car.

I live in the mountains. That's now the low rent district, with lots
of owner occupied to rental conversions. Anyone that can't take it or
fit in, usually moves out after the first winter. Those that remain
are better than average neighbors.

But that is going to change. A good piece of that coast is about
ready to drop off into the ocean.

Nope. The big one is going to raise parts of California. There are
people paying taxes on land under the sound end of SF Bay just in case
the quake produces some new dry land.

Actually they should try to help global warming in California because
then instead of losing the whole state all at once, they will just
lose it a little bit at a time.

Now up here when your car breaks down the meat is well preserved.
Kinda like Canada. See, we got the best of both worlds, zero to one
hundred almost every year. Like living in Africa and Antarctica
at the same time. You think health insurance costs ? Try heating
and cooling a house in Cleveland ! That's why the Rothschilds ad
Rockefellers don't live here, they would go broke. And they ain't
stupid.

(what did I just say there ?)

Not much. Y'er drifting off topic.