Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Seal for slate

On 18/12/2015 12:14, Reentrant wrote:
On 15/12/2015 23:43, Rob Graham wrote:
I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and
have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very
basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled
on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than
the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated
with wood turning.

Rob

Liquid paraffin maybe (the "BP" stuff you can, or at least could, get
from a pharmacy for constipation). It's food-grade and is recommended
for otherwise-unsealed wooden plates, bowls etc.

Goes straight through you and leaves the blockage behind!
No good as a finish because it remains liquid forever. In order of
viscosity it's mineral oilliquid paraffinvaselineparaffin wax (soft,
medium, and hard). The latter is the only candidate for a finish, hence
it's the main ingedient of most furniture waxes.