Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seal for slate

I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated with wood turning.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/15 23:43, Rob Graham wrote:
I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated with wood turning.

Rob

Oil is the traditional and proven finish for slate fireplaces and work
surfaces. Olive oil will do the job, wiped off well. Or danish type oil,
or a mixture.

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/15/2015 7:08 PM, Tim W wrote:

Oil is the traditional and proven finish for slate fireplaces and work
surfaces. Olive oil will do the job, wiped off well. Or danish type oil,
or a mixture.

Olive oil can go rancid. I've had good luck with walnut oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2015 00:43, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/15/2015 7:08 PM, Tim W wrote:

Oil is the traditional and proven finish for slate fireplaces and work
surfaces. Olive oil will do the job, wiped off well. Or danish type oil,
or a mixture.

Olive oil can go rancid. I've had good luck with walnut oil.

Any vegetable oil can go rancid unless it's a "drying oil" (linseed or
tung). A wax with a fairly high melting point would be my choice, and
presumably those the OP already uses would fit the bill in that respect
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2015 23:43, Rob Graham wrote:
I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and
have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for
us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very
basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled
on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than
the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated
with wood turning.

Indeed, lithofin stone protector would do a nice job at several times
the cost for a bottle ;-)

I would have though a mineral oil and beeswax finish would be one
option. Failing that a drying oil of some kind (danish etc, or liberon
finishing oil)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2015 12:37, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/12/2015 23:43, Rob Graham wrote:
I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and
have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for
us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very
basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled
on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than
the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated
with wood turning.

Indeed, lithofin stone protector would do a nice job at several times
the cost for a bottle ;-)

I would have though a mineral oil and beeswax finish would be one
option. Failing that a drying oil of some kind (danish etc, or liberon
finishing oil)

Except that the wax is solid at room temperature and mineral oil isn't.
Paraffin wax is more compatible with beeswax but it's probably easier to
buy a tin of any old furniture wax, which would contain much the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 5:32:55 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for all your replies, guys. There is now a nice irony on this plus I am well truly hoisted by my own petard !!

Buy cheap and you get cheap - the slate cracked after 24 hours !! I did get my money back, but I am now well on the hook of my promise to make one, and I've lost my excuse of not knowing how big to make it!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/15 10:47, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/12/2015 00:43, S Viemeister wrote:

...Olive oil can go rancid. ....

Any vegetable oil can go rancid ....

Is that so, or a myth? I have never smelt rancid oil, and I have some
very old oils in the kitchen and used a lot of oil in finishes.

And what is rancid? I know what rancid butter is like, like cheesy milk
but I have never seen oil go like that. Besides, almost any vegetable
oil will 'dry' which is really to oxidise and solidify if it's spread
thinly and exposed to air. It just takes a few days or weeks.

Tim w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2015 23:43, Rob Graham wrote:
I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated with wood turning.

Rob

Liquid paraffin maybe (the "BP" stuff you can, or at least could, get
from a pharmacy for constipation). It's food-grade and is recommended
for otherwise-unsealed wooden plates, bowls etc.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2015 12:14, Reentrant wrote:
On 15/12/2015 23:43, Rob Graham wrote:
I've had the better-half at me for some time to make a Lazy Susan and
have put it off because I couldn't get an idea of the right size for us.

Problem has been solved by Aldis stocking slate ones at £5.99 - very
basic but a good pro-tem solution at that price.

Can someone come up with a DIY material for sealing it? I've googled
on the topic and only find commercial items that would cost more than
the original purchase. I've got various waxes and oils associated
with wood turning.

Rob

Liquid paraffin maybe (the "BP" stuff you can, or at least could, get
from a pharmacy for constipation). It's food-grade and is recommended
for otherwise-unsealed wooden plates, bowls etc.

Goes straight through you and leaves the blockage behind!
No good as a finish because it remains liquid forever. In order of
viscosity it's mineral oilliquid paraffinvaselineparaffin wax (soft,
medium, and hard). The latter is the only candidate for a finish, hence
it's the main ingedient of most furniture waxes.

Bulb Seal/Bubble Seal/O-Seal John Whitworth[_5_] UK diy 3 July 24th 11 03:33 PM
To (re)seal or not to (re)seal granite counter tops? blueman Home Repair 11 July 31st 06 05:44 PM
Pointing over slate dpc? T i m UK diy 4 September 14th 05 01:06 PM
to seal or not to seal that is the question djay Home Repair 4 August 9th 05 06:38 PM
cost for slate or synthetic slate roof? Keith A. Schneider Home Ownership 0 July 20th 05 07:53 PM