Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default not just the car- it is the light bulbs too

misterroy wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...rgy-efficiency

It is the familiar trick known as "designing into the
tolerances". Legitimate but misleading.

Simply, for example, if you are working to a requirement with a
10% tolerance, and you can actually reliably control to 2%, then
depending on which way the advantage falls, you aim for either
+8% or -8%.

First time I came across this was after the GEC takeovers, and
the old AEI transformers factory at Wythenshawe was building
transformers designed by GEC Rugby. I still remember the
undisguised scorn when the AEI engineers saw the GEC technical
data sheets and found that they had been doing exactly that.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.