Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 12:59:34 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 11:27:08 AM UTC-5, rangerssuck
wrote:

Now, as for the fifty-cent vs five-dollar decision, by the time
the washer hits a retail store, the price difference might be
$1,000 vs $1,020. I KNOW
that given the choice, I'd spend the extra twenty bucks. Larry J.
mentioned that in the next post.

That makes sense, but what if there are 6 such items . Then in the
retail store the price difference might be $1000 vs $1120. Tougher
choice.

Dan

True, but then again, I doubt major manufacturers are paying anywhere
near five bucks for solid state relays in the sizes and quantities
they would consume. But still, a 10% or 15% premium for the appliance
that's going to last longer seems pretty reasonable.

https://www.panasonic-electric-works...compliance.htm
"Relays with contacts that contain cadmium are still exempt from the
RoHS directive. However, due to its general corporate policy,
Panasonic no longer offers any relays whose contacts contain cadmium."

http://www.therelaycompany.com/materials.php
"This contradicts earlier advice and is based on the switching
qualities of AgCdO which cannot be matched by other materials. In some
cases performance might otherwise be less than half that offered by
this particular compound."