Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 12:13:18 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Zak W" wrote in message

Just more bull**** regulations, like which way to mount a 120v receptacle?
Ground-hole up or down? How about if it's mounted on a ceiling?

Everyone knows it's ground-hole pointed south to take advantage of the
coriolis effect, at least in the northern hemisphere. Helps the electrons
drain more quickly. (-: My Monster Cable sales rep told me! sarcasm alert

I have seen lots of conversation about this but there is no actual
code language about it. On argument is if the ground is up and the
cover comes loose it will hit the ground pin but that is not enough to
drive a code change.
There also does not seem to be any consensus of how the cord should
hang (pin up or down ref the direction of the cord on a flat plug) I
have examples of both here.

The only thing that is somewhat a convention is that switched
receptacles are installed in the opposite orientation from the
unswitched ones. That makes sense as long as the user understands it.

When I was on a Army Corps of Engineers job, the electrical engineers insisted that the ground hole be at the top. Their reason was that there was a possibility of something metallic falling on the partially pulled out plug. We had a lot of suspended ceiling tie wire on the job and it could easily fall between a partially pulled our plug and receptacle. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Short Monster