Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 07:43:44 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

stuff snipped

All 120v 15 & 20a receptacles in those areas require GFCI whether they
are twist lock or not. If it is that important to you, buy a 240v
pump.

I am not sure I understand your comment. Twist locks, in my experience, can
be used for both 110 and 220v applications. I see them listed for 110v use:

Leviton 2311 Locking Plug, 20A, 125V, L5-20P, 2P3W

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=161638

Whether or not the NEC approves of them for 120v applications is another
story I am not able to comment on other than I use them in several places in
my house and as I recall, they passed inspection (quite some time ago).

There are specific twist lock configurations for each combination of
voltage and current, all having specific NEMA configuration numbers
which I included in my original recommendation - so yes, twist locks
ARE allowed by the NEC for 120 volt use.
I made the suggestion twist locks to specifically deal with someone who
might unplug the sump pump to use for say a vacuum cleaner and then forgets
to reconnect the sump. Having once had a cleaning lady who plugged a 10A
cannister vac into a UPS outlet, there's merit in preventing people from
doing things like that. (-:

Or, as I reread what you wrote, are you saying that a 240v pump obviates the
need for a GFCI?

The code only specifies 120 volt circuits.