Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 00:20:09 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 19:27:43 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 16:44:12 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Exception No. 2: GFCI protection is not required for a receptacle on a

Does this mean it can have a double-receptacle? And still not
require GFCI?

dedicated branch circuit located and identified for a specific
cord-and-plug-connected appliance, such as a sump pump.

My house was clearly designed with a receptacle right next to the sump
pump. But it's a two outlet receptacle.

It is still a "dedicated circuit" but to be 100% legal I would
install twist-lock receptacles and plugs to make it clear it is
DEDICATED to the specialized equipment with the matching plugs.
(assuming there are no other outlets or devices on the circuit)

I am not sure about what happens in the Great White North but in the
US those "dedicated outlet" exceptions are all gone and have been for
the last 3 cycles. The only exceptions now are for "ice melting
equipment" outside and alarm systems inside (basements crawl spaces
etc)