Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

Tekkie® wrote, on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 17:19:10 -0500:

So I guess the research the tire co's means nothing to you.

I know this was directed at someone else, but, let's remind ourselves
this isn't the ladies' knitting group.

We're here to learn how to repair things, and, in this case, what
we want to learn is the proper way for a homeowner to repair a
car tire that has a puncture wound.

So far, we have learned a *lot* (at least "I" have), as I have
read the wrong way and the right way to repair the tires.

The only thing I don't have are the 5 tools and the 3 fluids, so,
my quest right now is simply to find homeowner-style alternatives.

One could rightly say just buy the right tools & fluids, but,
you have to realize that we're only going to repair one tire
every few years, so, we really need to be smarter than that.

Sure, it's *easy* to buy exactly the professional tools, but, if
we're smart, we can buy the fluids and tools and be able to use
them for other things.

For example, of the three fluids, we seem to know at this point:
1. Pre-buff solvent = seems to either be Naptha or MEK
2. Vulcanizing cement = easy to come by almost anywhere
3. Inner liner sealer = this we don't know what it's made of yet

Of the 5 tools, we can probably make use of existing tools:
a. Carbide reamer
b. Pre-buff half-moon scraper
c. Half-round buffing wheel
d. Stitcher wheel

If you know of alternative sources in the home box office for
any of these tools and fluids, that's the stage I'm currently
at now.

Whatever you impart will benefit all of us, because I would expect
anyone at home who can mount and dismount and balance a tire to
be able to also patch the repair from the inside.