Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

clare wrote, on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 17:09:54 -0500:

It aint MEK.,

Darn. Someone said it was MEK.

That was good to hear because MEK is easy to come by.
But, if it's not MEK, then we have to start anew to figure out what
it is that we can find in a common hardware store.

and yes, low speed is required because if you burn the
rubber the tire is FUBAR.

Makes sense not to want to melt the rubber.
How does 500 RPM sound for speed?

Best thing for "grinding" the liner is a
prep disk on a low speed die grinder or air drill..

I have seen those half-round grinding disks which seem like a nice
thing to have in my toolbox for cleaning the inside of the tire.

Use a PROPER PREBUFF cleaner, or a pure hydrocarbon solvent like napyha ,
white gas, or even TRicor. (all components of the major tire repair
companies' pre-buff cleaners).

Googling to see the box store equivalents, it seems that Naptha isn't
sold at Home Depot, but it is sold at Lowes:

LOWES: Crown 1-Gallon Slow to Dissolve Naphtha
Item #: 206531 | Model #: CR.VM.M.41
http://www.lowes.com/pd_206531-34228...ductId=3024053

Are you sure the prebuff solvent is naptha, and not MEK?

In a pinch, use tire patch glue ans scrape it off with a razor blade.

Interesting idea!

This makes sense, especially since you already have the glue on hand,
and, as noted by someone, the remainder of the glue will likely dry
well before you ever get to use it again, so, you may as well use
it up.