Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How Much?

On 12/10/2015 3:44 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:35:41 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I'd be "disappointed" if I worked my whole life just to spend
retirement "watching TV". I can understand not being physically/mentally
able to undertake other activities. But, *choosing* to sit in front
of the idiot box seems like such a colossal waste of opportunity;
you're finally at a point where you don't have to answer to someone
else's marching orders... can choose *what* you want to do with YOUR
time... "watching TV" wouldn't be high on my list.

I use the TV as a radio most of the day. I have an RF headset and I
will crank up something like Charlie Rose and go on with my other
activities.

I take that approach late at night while working; play a movie (DVD)
while in the next room -- relying on the audio to cue me as to what
is happening on the (not visible) screen, at the time. (TV is
usually *off* so nothing to see even if I wanted to do so!)

In that sense, it's just "background noise" -- something that's
happening to which I don't have to pay close attention.

I'd much rather listen to music but that seems to interfere
with SWMBO's sleep -- she can tune out a movie but not music
(well, not *my* music! : )

In that regard I really want something like Charlie or perhaps a
history channel type of show that is really just a scripted slide show
where the slides are secondary to the story. A lot of the time they
are just "B roll" that may not actually be from what they are talking
about but it looks right. I have seen that destroyer quartering in
for an attack in everything from "Victory at Sea" to Mc hale's Navy.
It is a rare WWII navy story that doesn't use it.

I rarely want something that will compete for my attention. I'd
much rather "watch" a movie I've previously seen so anything that
seeps into my conscious doesn't draw it away from the task at hand.
Or, if it does, it does so in such a way that I can *predict* what
will be coming next and can, thus, choose to push it back out of
conscious thought (in much the same way that familiar songs don't
compete for attention when you're attention is elsewhere).

Getting me to sit and WATCH a flick raises the bar REALLY HIGH!
Doubtful that I would expend (waste?) that much time on something
of unknown quality (for the same reason, I won't go out to
The Show -- investing that time PLUS MORE in the hope that I'll
see something that even remotely warrants my time.).

OTOH, there are many flicks that I will (and do, with some repeat
frequency!) sit and watch gleefully. But, I've previously decided
they were worth the time to (re)watch.

The most interesting behaviour comes with shows that are airing
on TV -- but, that I already own on DVD/LVD/VHS/etc. I.e., I can
watch the show AT MY CONVENIENCE... yet, will arrange my schedule
to catch it when *broadcast* -- even with commercial interruptions.
E.g., this time of year, it's shows like Frosty or Rudolph; reasonably
short, nostalgic and just plain "fun".

[Of course, most years I miss them entirely as we don't have a
"guide" service to consult; if we don't see an ad for the show
prior to its airing, it will pass us by]