Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 17:17:09 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:26:46 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Danny D. wrote, on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 00:30:03 +0000:

Does anyone on this newsgroup know of any commonly available substitute
for this black goopy inner liner sealer?

This seems to be the inner liner sealer goopy tar.
But I don't know if there is a box store equivalent.

$1 per ounce:
http://safetytireseal.com/sc16.html

$2 per ounce:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Patch-R...-/121309678038

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/lawson...ler/1417734.lp
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...ant-16oz-re76f

I still haven't been able to figure out what this stuff is
made up of, and where I can get it at reasonable prices in
small quantities at the box stores.

It is a butyl rubber sealer containing hydro treated heavy parafinic
petroleum distilates, carbon black, di(benzothiazol-2-yl) disulphide,
and zinc oxide along with butyl rubber resin.

It is made for the job, and you would be far better off not using
anything (the way it has been done for many years by many tire repair
professionals) than using something untied and unproven in it's place.
Like I said befo "Dont screw with tire repairs" "It's only your
life riding on that repair"

Either do it right, or get it done.
Criminal negligence charges stay with you for life if you happen to
survive and someone else doesn't

He's only trying to plug a hole the "right way." Nothing wrong with
that. I think it's a bit impractical, but that's just my opinion.
And I don't agree with your "criminal negligence charges" for plugging
a tire. A tire plug is a simple repair. Might as well say you can't
work on your suspension or gas tank or electrical system.