Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:12:09 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/10/2015 11:17 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/10/2015 10:08 AM, Danny D. wrote:
The first is a cleaner (used to be MEK). You can't get a
decent bond until you remove ALL the dirt, wax, oil, crud
etc from the surface. Contamination spoils more patches than
any other fault.

Ah, MEK, Methyl-Ethyl Ketones.

Am I correct that MEK is our basic paint thinner at any box shop?

Don't overthink this.
Find a Tech service truck or similar vendor who does this all day long
and get your materials and advice from an expert.

1) Danny is well known for over thinking things.
2) Many paint thinners are "mineral spirits". Not
sure if that's same thing.

Mineral spirits and MEK are totally different materials.
Mineral spirits is closer to the right product but can have all kinds
of fraction in it that could inhibit proper vilcanization.. White gas
(coleman camp gas) is about as close to the "real thing" as he is
going to find at a big box store like Home Despot. - much better to
just get the right stuff