Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:22:36 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote, on Wed, 09 Dec 2015 03:47:08 -0600:

Same here. I've done 4 or 5 that way. Kits cost $3-10.
They didn't come with a rasp when I was buying them.

Most of the tire repair videos do *not* use the dimpled
scraper that most of us use to repair a tire.

They pour what turns out to be MEK onto the inner liner,
which, presumably, dissolves some of the inner liner,
and then they scrape with this tool:

http://www.grainger.com/product/XTRA...Scraper-33K072
http://www.walmart.com/ip/XTRA-SEAL-...74974/40883102

After they scrape, they do "grind" the scraped area also.

They seem to prefer very low speeds when grinding, like 500rpm
and never more than 5,000 RPM.

Is that for heat reasons?

It aint MEK., and yes, low speed is required because if you burn the
rubber the tire is FUBAR. Best thing for "grinding" the liner is a
prep disk on a low speed die grinder or air drill.. Use a PROPER
PREBUFF cleaner, or a pure hydrocarbon solvent like napyha , white
gas, or even TRicor. (all components of the major tire repair
companies' pre-buff cleaners).

In a pinch, use tire patch glue ans scrape it off with a razor blade.