Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How Much?

On 12/10/2015 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

No interest in learning another killset? Mentoring youth? Volunteering
at a hospice? etc.

[Again, YMMV... I'm just pointing out *my* attitude towards the "MY TIME"
we each are, hopefully, granted]

Different strokes for different folks.

Of course! Hence the point of the initial disclaimer in my reply! I
just (personally) find it depressing to see folks spending THEIR time
(as in their SPECIAL time of life) doing pretty boring things. If you
can't *do* something, then, go *see* something, etc.

We have one neighbor (couple) who spend their days going out to eat.
But, not to "try new foods"; rather, to avoid cooking! (OK, fine.
But, maybe look for foods that won't add to their "rotundity"??
Or, would they NOT like to see grandkid's *4th* birthday? 5th? etc.)

Another neighbor is glued to his PC just surfing the web; his wife
abandons him for weeks at a time as she's decided she'd prefer to
spend time with her grandkids WHILE they are still interested in
her AND she is still capable of interacting with them.

Another spends his days riding his bicycle (leisurely) around town.
shrug I *guess* that's better than NOT riding. But, doesn't
seem to be much more than watching TV in the grand scheme of things...

This time of year, I'd rather be out hunting but have to help my wife recover
from knee replacement surgery.

Obligations take precedence over personal preferences.

I also do work on line for extra cash.

I see lots of young folks, that say they don't spend a lot of time on
computers, never leave their smart phone. They don't realize that they are
doing the same thing.

Exactly. And, SUFFER when they are denied access to it (class, church,
driving, etc.) "Gee, I wonder if anyone has tried to say something,
ANYTHING, to me in the past few minutes that I was unable to catch
AT THAT VERY INSTANT because I was busy keeping this vehicle on the
roadway..."

I am "terrible" at social functions (obligations) because I will inevitably
find someone interesting -- and, then, "pick their brain" trying to
learn from their experiences. Some folks delight in this sort of attention
fixated on themselves. Others cringe as if it was an *assault*.