Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 16:08:45 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

AMuzi wrote, on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 07:51:35 -0600:

The first is a cleaner (used to be MEK). You can't get a
decent bond until you remove ALL the dirt, wax, oil, crud
etc from the surface. Contamination spoils more patches than
any other fault.

Ah, MEK, Methyl-Ethyl Ketones.

This is a great help because that first stripper being MEK makes
it 2 out of the 3 tire repair fluids that are easy to come by!

Googling the hardware stores, it looks like MEK is sold as
a common paint thinner.

1. HOME DEPOT: Klean-Strip, 32 oz. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) Solvent
Model # QME71, Internet # 100210976, Store SKU # 834408
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Str...ME71/100210976

2. LOWES: Jasco Gallon Size Can Fast to Dissolve Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)
(128-fl oz) Item #: 622034, Model #: GJME180
3. LOWES: Crown 1-Gallon Fast to Dissolve Methyl Ethyl Ketone
Item #: 206493, Model #: CR.MK.M.41

3. MENARDS: Sunnyside Methyl Ethyl Ketone - 1 qt
Model Number: 84732, Menards SKU: 5613803

Am I correct that MEK is our basic paint thinner at any box shop?

I would use what the patch company recommends. Tech's "Rub=O-Matic"
rubber cleaner has no MEK in it. it is basically a light naptha (pure
petroleum product)

Rema uses a water based pummice product to buff the rubber liner for
repair.
Their flamable pre-buff is almost pure N-Heptane. Their non flamable
pre-buff is Triclorethelene

The "glue" is also specific to the patch product being used. -I would
not mix one company's glue with another companies specialized patch
products.