Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 07:51:35 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/10/2015 1:10 AM, Danny D. wrote:
clare wrote, on Wed, 09 Dec 2015 23:12:31 -0500:

I always bought mine from the "wagon jobber" who came to my place of
business every couple weeks to make sure I had enough valve stems,
patches, cement, balance weights, and other tire supplies. Most of my
working life that was REMA TIP TOP, and at one location it was Tech
Tire.

Did you use all three fluids?
They seem all to be very different.

1. The first fluid seems to be a strong solvent, which seems to *melt*
the rubber a bit, so that the half-moon scraper can scrape away
the surface.

2. The second fluid is the vulcanizing cement. I always thought that
vulcanizing required *heat*; but apparently not.

3. The third fluid is the last thing you apply, which, I believe is
critical, which is the *sealer* to prevent moisture and air from
seeping into the belts.

The first fluid, if I only knew what it was made out of, seems to be
an easy fluid to substitute using some strong solvent in the hardware
store.

That last fluid, which I think is the most critical, seems to be some
sort of "rubberized tar", which, to me, seems the most critical of all
the fluids, because you want to seal up all the damage you did with
all that scraping away of the inner liner skin.

The first is a cleaner (used to be MEK). You can't get a
decent bond until you remove ALL the dirt, wax, oil, crud
etc from the surface. Contamination spoils more patches than
any other fault.

And that is what the "scraping" is for - to expose raw clean surface
for gluing..

The old trick of applying glue, lighting it with a match, then
scraping off the remains before applying more glue and the patch did
the same thing.