Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default What medications are you most Afraid of?

[This followup was posted to alt.home.repair and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

posted for all of us...

Doctors often get "points" from drug companies for prescribing THEIR
meds. These points get them gifts or money, or whatever. Your doctor may
NOT have your best interests in mind. Because of these "points" doctors
tend to over prescribe meds. When I'm offerred a prescription, my first
question is "Is this necessary to cure my ailment or is this just to
cover up the pain?". Most of the time it's just a coverup drug.

I've almost always been affected by the side effects of drugs more than
they help me, so normally I tell the doctor I can do without the meds.
Yes, there have been a few exceptions to this, where the pain was
unbearable. Especially an infected tooth. But most of the time I refuse
these pain meds. I'd rather take a couple shots of liquor than deal with
the side effects of the meds.

On the other side, if the meds are something that will actually cure
what ails me, then I usually take them. But even there some doctors tend
to over prescribe. Especially antibiotics. Heck, a year ago, I had a
"boil", which is pretty much a large pus filled pimple. I've had these
before, and most of the time I drain them myself. Once they are drained,
they heal. But I had one in a place I could not reach, so I finally went
to the doctor. He drained it, then prescribed antibiotics. I questioned
this, and the doctor said "it's just a precaution". I said I'd rather
not take an antibiotic for "THIS", since I know how people can become
immune to them, and I'd rather use them if I was to get severely ill.
The doc said, "they're really not necessary for this, but I'm supposed
to offer them as a precaution". I said, in that case, I'll pass....

As far as the topic of this message, I am "AFRAID" of ALL medications.
But I have good cause. As I said, I almost always get lots of the side
effects, but to add to this, I almost died from a prescribed drug, which
was given to me for a respiratory issue. I was given this drug, took it
as prescribed, and four days later I collapsed, and had a full blown
emergency situation. My blood pressure went real high, and I have never
had high blood pressure. The doctor in the Emergency Room looked at my
medical records (which he got from their computer), and said "has this
ever happened before". I said I have never had any blood pressure
problems. His next question was "are you taking any drugs or
medications". I told him about this stuff I was prescribed four days
ago, and the amount I was taking. He said "Bingo".... "That drug
accumulates in the body, and you were prescribed a very high dose, that
explains what happened".

Once I was stabalized, he sent me home, but said DO NOT take that drug
anymore. I replied "NO ****"..... Then he told me to go back to the
doctor that prescribed it, and explain what happened, and ask them to
find a "safer drug". It took me almost a week to feel normal again...
The doc that prescribed that stuff, told me that I had a "rare" side
effect, but it is one of the side effects listed for the drug. Rather
than prescribe any more pills, I was just given an inhaler to clear out
my respiratory system. That did not cause any real problems, and seemed
to work well.

We've heard it all before, everyones different. If he did not offer the
antibiotic then he could have been sued because he went out of best
practices. Remember, they are only "practicing"
--
Tekkie