Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:22:36 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote, on Wed, 09 Dec 2015 03:47:08 -0600:

Same here. I've done 4 or 5 that way. Kits cost $3-10.
They didn't come with a rasp when I was buying them.

Most of the tire repair videos do *not* use the dimpled
scraper that most of us use to repair a tire.

They pour what turns out to be MEK onto the inner liner,
which, presumably, dissolves some of the inner liner,
and then they scrape with this tool:

http://www.grainger.com/product/XTRA...Scraper-33K072
http://www.walmart.com/ip/XTRA-SEAL-...74974/40883102

After they scrape, they do "grind" the scraped area also.

They seem to prefer very low speeds when grinding, like 500rpm
and never more than 5,000 RPM.

Is that for heat reasons?

Beats me. They probably don't know either. You can generate plenty
of heat at 500 rpm.
Like I said, if I ever get a screw or nail in a tire, I'll just get a
plug kit. Or take it to a nearby Just Tires. Done that too.
If I can't find a puncture, I assume it's a rim leak. But one time
they found a nail I had missed.

Tires are most important parts of vehicle, each maintaining firm contact
with surface supporting the vehicle. Each contact area is
mere sq. inches. For me, I don't want to play with damaged tire(s).
I don't want to put myself and family for possible danger due to
so called repaired tire. My driving is mostly freeway driving doing
70 mph or so. It all takes is just one accident. Even new tires can
cause an accident. I don't want to learn a lesson paying my life.

In Germany cops can impound your car if you are driving with worn
tire(s). It's pretty scary driving on Autobahn first time.

Danny D. tire repair Guru!!! Good luck driving your Bimmer on patched
tire(s).