Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

AMuzi wrote, on Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:17:26 -0600:

Don't overthink this.
Find a Tech service truck or similar vendor who does this
all day long and get your materials and advice from an expert.

You have no idea where I live.
Nor that I'm retired, so, I never go into town.

I'm in the mountains. We don't even have cable.
We don't have sewage pipes. We don't have gas pipes.
We all have wells.

There is zero chance I'm gonna run into a 'tech service truck'.

I have to go into town, explicitly, and then *look* for my solvents.

So far, there are three that are useful for tire puncture repair:

1. The stripper (which, if it's MEK, is easy to come by!)
2. The cement (which is very easy to come by)
3. The sealer (which is a tar-like substance of some sort)

Does anyone know what might be a good source of the tarlike substance
at the box stores that is similar to the butyl rubber tire sealant they
use to seal the inside of the tire after we've buffed it all up during
the patching process?

I'll head off to Home Depot today to see if I can find a tar-like
chemical that works with butyl rubber - but - as you know - those
orange-aproned people, while very nice, won't be able to advise me.