Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

UPDATE:
My tire went flat and I drove about a mile as it was losing air:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5829/2...fb786d7a_b.jpg

I brought the wheel to Wheel Works, who will repair the puncture
using an internal patchplug, and they will mount and balance and
rotate the tire with the spare, all for free:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/608/23...cf48f94b_b.jpg

Unfortunately, the tire was ruined by my driving on it:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/663/22...5d6141cc_b.jpg

They told me that they can't fix a tire with the belt showing:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/616/23...ce028743_b.jpg

Given the tire is ruined, I decided to experiment with patches:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/673/22...4f5596c6_b.jpg

Here is one type of patchplug:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5760/2...fc8c2ea0_b.jpg

Here is another type of patchplug:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5727/2...0ff00e1f_b.jpg

I bought a few tools, such as the stitching tool & cement:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/725/23...9849ed98_b.jpg

And, I plan on experimenting to see which type works best:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/724/23...67e9b31e_b.jpg

Here is one of the better videos on how to properly repair a hole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5uBUaMsrA

Here are the tools that this video recommends:
a. Tire repair awl
b. Half-moon scraper
c. Carbide bit reamer
d. Cone-shaped grinding wheel (5,000RPM)
e. PatchPlug
f. Stitching tool

I tried to find these tools locally, but I may need to buy online:
http://www.vampa.net/category_s/39.htm

Here are the chemicals that this video recommends:
a. Westernweld Inner Liner Pre-Buff Solution Redi-Buff BU32 or BU16S
b. Westernweld Self-Vulcanizing Fast Drying Cement SV8 or SV32
c. Westernweld Inner Liner Sealer RS8 or RS32

I tried to find them locally, but again, I may need to buy online:
http://www.vampa.net/category_s/36.htm
http://www.vampa.net/product_p/ww-rs32.htm

I will call the company recommended in that video to find a source
for the three chemicals and for the half-dozen tire-repair tools:
Western States Mfg 800-831-4724 www.westernweld.com

Any corrections, clarifications, or further advice is always welcome.