Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

Ashton Crusher wrote, on Tue, 08 Dec 2015 17:48:46 -0700:

The last time I repaired a tire ( punch thru of a screw which I yanked
out) I bought a kit with rubber plugs and rubber cement. Greased the
hole with cement, put the plug on the inserter tool, shoved it thru
form the outside and withdrew the tool. That repair and tire lasted
another 20K miles.

There's a right way to do things, and a wrong way, and both work.
You did it the wrong way, and that's fine.
It's your tire, and I won't knock you for how you repaired it.
Both ways work.

For reference, here is a great video on the *right* way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5uBUaMsrA

Here's my summary of what that video recommends, along with a bit
of research about where I can obtain the tools and chemicals at
a good price and in small single-use quantities:

TOOLS: (http://www.vampa.net/category_s/39.htm)
a. Tire repair awl
b. Half-moon scraper
c. Carbide bit reamer
d. Cone-shaped grinding wheel (5,000RPM)
e. PatchPlug
f. Stitching tool

FLUIDS: (http://www.vampa.net/category_s/36.htm)
a. Westernweld Inner Liner Pre-Buff Solution Redi-Buff BU32 or BU16S
b. Westernweld Self-Vulcanizing Fast Drying Cement SV8 or SV32
c. Westernweld Inner Liner Sealer RS8 or RS32
http://www.vampa.net/product_p/ww-rs32.htm

It's too late now, but I'm gonna call these guys tomorrow to see
what I can learn about what is inside those three chemicals above.

Western States Mfg 800-831-4724 www.westernweld.com