Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Harbor freight makes excellent tools.

On 12/8/2015 5:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

For some reason I don't seem to be able to sharpen the chain saw very good
with the round file and guide. I bring it in and put it in a vise, sharpen
one side and turn it around to do the opposite tooth.. The $ 30 HF

I bring the file/guide out into the yard with me when using a saw.
Thus, I am willing/prepared to sharpen the chain as soon as it
starts feeling "unproductive" (working with a dull chain increases
chance of doing something you may regret!)

Set the saw between my legs ("off") and do all the "left facing"
teeth, manually advancing the chain between each until I've made the full
circuit. Then, switch to the right teeth and repeat the exercise.

Have to remember that the file wears over time, too. So, remove guide and
"roll" the file a quarter turn, or so. Replace file periodically.
(they're inexpensive and save you money/time in the end)

sharpener does a much beter job for me and the saw cuts a lot beter. I
guess that if I sharpened very many chaines I could get beter at it. Sort
of like the drill bits. I use drill doctor for them. Come to think of it,
the electric sharpener was not much more than the files and guides.

I am leary of electric things that claim to sharpen; doing so is
done by removing metal... too easy to get carried away and end up with
"nothing" (I've watched a friend's chef knife grow visibly smaller
over the years as he's constantly "sharpening" it -- with a motorized
sharpener! : )

With the file and guide, I can "kiss" the teeth before they need
"serious attention" and, hopefully, keep the chain sharper and
more productive -- as well as minimizing the risk of getting too
aggressive with a sharpener.

Bottom line is to find a tool/approach with which you're comfortable.
A neighbor doesn't have the discipline to keep his saw sharp. From
time to time, I'll sharpen it for him. Otherwise, he just replaces
it when it gets too "dull" frown