Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor freight makes excellent tools.

Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2015 2:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free
flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

Would be more amusing if it had been in the *washer* -- a front loader
so you could watch the light as it bounced around in the wash! :

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably
got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

Not much that can break, there. LED's don't care about the sorts
of temperatures you'd find in a dryer -- nor the mechanical abuse.
Switch is actually recessed *in* the back of the flashlight so it's
not subject to much abuse (though the rubber cover might age quicker).

Biggest concern would be the batteries -- leaking prematurely, etc.

[Or, any enamel paint coating on the inside of the dryer drum -- if
you've that sort of dryer -- getting chipped from the contact with the
metal flashlight case]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:17:15 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

well it did go thrua front loader, i did wonder about some occasional noise, but was busy with other things
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I do two things to those short lights:

1) Grease the tail cap threads.
2) Put the battery pack in backwards
when the unit isn't going to be used
for a while.
3) Get a lot of them and give em away
for Christmas.
4) Write about it on Usenet.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:16:48 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I do two things to those short lights:

1) Grease the tail cap threads.
2) Put the battery pack in backwards
when the unit isn't going to be used
for a while.
3) Get a lot of them and give em away
for Christmas.
4) Write about it on Usenet.

5) Shine it on a book that will teach a
person how to count.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2015 5:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free
flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time.
proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I do two things to those short lights:

1) Grease the tail cap threads.
2) Put the battery pack in backwards
when the unit isn't going to be used
for a while.
3) Get a lot of them and give em away
for Christmas.
4) Write about it on Usenet.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/08/2015 12:16 AM, IGot2P wrote:

There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

What about the other 1000?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 11:16:25 PM UTC-6, IGot2P wrote:
On 12/7/2015 5:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free
flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time.
proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I do two things to those short lights:

1) Grease the tail cap threads.
2) Put the battery pack in backwards
when the unit isn't going to be used
for a while.
3) Get a lot of them and give em away
for Christmas.
4) Write about it on Usenet.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

œŒ.|€¢Í¡Ë˜€¿€¢Í¡Ë˜|.œŒ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2015 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

They do have a rubber o ring seal on the battery box.
I don't believe Harbor Freight makes any of their own gear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/15 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

Actually they sell tools, I doubt they manufacture them.

--
The press wants every person running for president to be for everything
and to stand for nothing. Just how they roll...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:17:25 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 12/7/15 4:17 PM, bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

Actually they sell tools, I doubt they manufacture them.

+1

Some of their stuff is fine, works great and is a great deal.
Like ratchet extensions or a breaker bar.
Some other stuff is cheap junk. Example of that is a set of
snap ring pliers I bought. Instead of hardened steel, the tips
were made of metal so soft, they just bent trying to open the
first snap ring. Bought one of their cheap VOMs. It worked fine
for about a year, then started reading 150V, instead of 120V.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 06:27:43 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

first snap ring. Bought one of their cheap VOMs. It worked fine
for about a year, then started reading 150V, instead of 120V.

I got one of those VOM's and it just died after about 4 uses. I have a
quality VOM that still works fine after about 40 years. I just bought
this cheap VOM for auto use, because I hate getting my quality VOM
covered with grease and dirt outdoors. I have since bought a $15 VOM at
Walmart and it's been working fine for 2 or 3 years now.

The ONLY tool I bought at HF that has not yet broken is a trailer ball
wrench. It fits both size ball nuts. Basically a big box wrench. Aside
from that, nothing has been worth buying from them. I wont even go into
their stores anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 13:17:12 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I bet you work for HF !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

first snap ring. Bought one of their cheap VOMs. It worked fine
for about a year, then started reading 150V, instead of 120V.

I got one of those VOM's and it just died after about 4 uses. I have a
quality VOM that still works fine after about 40 years. I just bought
this cheap VOM for auto use, because I hate getting my quality VOM
covered with grease and dirt outdoors. I have since bought a $15 VOM at
Walmart and it's been working fine for 2 or 3 years now.

I got one of hte 'free' VOMs to see how well it would work. Only had it a
couple of months. I did compair it to my Fluke and it seems to be good
enough for general work. It will be interisting to see how long it lasts.
It does have one adjustment in it so the first person may need to adjust it.

I have ordered a lot of inexpensive electronic stuff direct from China off
ebay. Surprises me how well it works for the price.

Only other thing I have from them so far is an electric chain saw sharpener.
Kind of chincey plastic, but did seem to work on the 2 chains I have
sharpened. If I was into really using the saws, probably would get one of
the $ 100 name brand ones, but I don't saw much wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I bet you work for HF !!!

I'll take that bet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

You are insulting word "excellent" I just throw in a flash light like
that in a dryer doing laundry. in about two hours result will come out.
It costs a buck at $ store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

first snap ring. Bought one of their cheap VOMs. It worked fine
for about a year, then started reading 150V, instead of 120V.

I got one of those VOM's and it just died after about 4 uses. I have a
quality VOM that still works fine after about 40 years. I just bought
this cheap VOM for auto use, because I hate getting my quality VOM
covered with grease and dirt outdoors. I have since bought a $15 VOM at
Walmart and it's been working fine for 2 or 3 years now.

I got one of hte 'free' VOMs to see how well it would work. Only had it a
couple of months. I did compair it to my Fluke and it seems to be good
enough for general work. It will be interisting to see how long it lasts.
It does have one adjustment in it so the first person may need to adjust it.

It's a good/cheap "3 digit meter" :

I have ordered a lot of inexpensive electronic stuff direct from China off
ebay. Surprises me how well it works for the price.

You've obviously never encountered any counterfeit components: blob of
black plastic with leads coming out of it -- but no die inside! :

Only other thing I have from them so far is an electric chain saw sharpener.
Kind of chincey plastic, but did seem to work on the 2 chains I have
sharpened. If I was into really using the saws, probably would get one of
the $ 100 name brand ones, but I don't saw much wood.

I use a cylindrical file and a clip on guide. Takes probably 5 minutes
to "kiss" each tooth (cutter and raker). Biggest time sink is thoroughly
cleaning the chain/bar beforehand. Biggest *risk* is taking the rakers
down to far... :

ObHint: there's a point in the chain that is noticeably different
from all other links. If you start there, you can easily tell when you've
gone full circle -- without having to count teeth!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message

[...]

I have not gotten any components direct from China. Just a few already built
things for about $ 2 to $ 20.

For some reason I don't seem to be able to sharpen the chain saw very good
with the round file and guide. I bring it in and put it in a vise, sharpen
one side and turn it around to do the opposite tooth.. The $ 30 HF
sharpener does a much beter job for me and the saw cuts a lot beter. I
guess that if I sharpened very many chaines I could get beter at it. Sort
of like the drill bits. I use drill doctor for them. Come to think of it,
the electric sharpener was not much more than the files and guides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2015 5:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

For some reason I don't seem to be able to sharpen the chain saw very good
with the round file and guide. I bring it in and put it in a vise, sharpen
one side and turn it around to do the opposite tooth.. The $ 30 HF

I bring the file/guide out into the yard with me when using a saw.
Thus, I am willing/prepared to sharpen the chain as soon as it
starts feeling "unproductive" (working with a dull chain increases
chance of doing something you may regret!)

Set the saw between my legs ("off") and do all the "left facing"
teeth, manually advancing the chain between each until I've made the full
circuit. Then, switch to the right teeth and repeat the exercise.

Have to remember that the file wears over time, too. So, remove guide and
"roll" the file a quarter turn, or so. Replace file periodically.
(they're inexpensive and save you money/time in the end)

sharpener does a much beter job for me and the saw cuts a lot beter. I
guess that if I sharpened very many chaines I could get beter at it. Sort
of like the drill bits. I use drill doctor for them. Come to think of it,
the electric sharpener was not much more than the files and guides.

I am leary of electric things that claim to sharpen; doing so is
done by removing metal... too easy to get carried away and end up with
"nothing" (I've watched a friend's chef knife grow visibly smaller
over the years as he's constantly "sharpening" it -- with a motorized
sharpener! : )

With the file and guide, I can "kiss" the teeth before they need
"serious attention" and, hopefully, keep the chain sharper and
more productive -- as well as minimizing the risk of getting too
aggressive with a sharpener.

Bottom line is to find a tool/approach with which you're comfortable.
A neighbor doesn't have the discipline to keep his saw sharp. From
time to time, I'll sharpen it for him. Otherwise, he just replaces
it when it gets too "dull" frown

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free
flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time.
proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

You are insulting word "excellent" I just throw in a flash light like
that in a dryer doing laundry. in about two hours result will come out.
It costs a buck at $ store.

I took the load out of the dryer. Flash kight still works. No damage.
Think tumbling cloth protected it from dinged around. That is it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 17:09:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Only other thing I have from them so far is an electric chain saw sharpener.
Kind of chincey plastic, but did seem to work on the 2 chains I have
sharpened. If I was into really using the saws, probably would get one of
the $ 100 name brand ones, but I don't saw much wood.

Also left-handed drill bits, set of 4. Much cheaper than the other
brand and good enough to drill out specialty screws. Using left-hand
means the screw is likely to unscrew before you drill all the way
through, so you get the shaft and not just the head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 16:04:11 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
Doing laundry today i somehow washed and dried a harbor freight free flashlight, one of those free ones.,

i found it working well putting out a nice brite light in the dryer,

i had done many loads today, so i doubt it was on the entire time. proably got turned on tumbling in the dryer,

this flashlight was one of thoe alunimum tube ones.

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

You are insulting word "excellent" I just throw in a flash light like
that in a dryer doing laundry. in about two hours result will come out.
It costs a buck at $ store.

The dollar store led lights are definitely not as good as the 9-light
Harbor Freight. NOt all the HF work but more than half.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor freight saw chain sharpener

On 12/8/2015 7:16 PM, Don Y wrote:
I use a cylindrical file and a clip on guide. Takes probably 5 minutes
to "kiss" each tooth (cutter and raker). Biggest time sink is thoroughly
cleaning the chain/bar beforehand. Biggest *risk* is taking the rakers
down to far... :

ObHint: there's a point in the chain that is noticeably different
from all other links. If you start there, you can easily tell when you've
gone full circle -- without having to count teeth!

If you can't tell a filed bright shiny tooth
from a dull, oiled, tarnished tooth.....

you're not making any difference at all.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-12-09, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sorry you've had bad experience. I've got a
lot of HF tools. Most of them do OK, for
around the house use.

Some of it is crap, some is OK, some surprisingly good.

I recently bought a Harbor Freight Pittsurgh Pro 10" locking plier. It
was on sale for something like $7.50 and then 20% off that with a coupon.
It's pretty close overall to new Chinese-made Vise-Grips. (Not quite so
close to the good old American made item.) Pittsburgh Pro seems to be
Harbor Freight's higher-end line for hand tools.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I bet you work for HF !!!

no I dont........

although I did work for them when setting up the mc knight road store. nice customers, nice management, I enjoyed it.

sadly my bad knee got so bad i couldnt walk and had to quit

the flashlight that survivedd both the washer and dryer was absolutely true, i was amazed
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i ws amazed it survived the laundry

I bet you work for HF !!!

no I dont........

although I did work for them when setting up the mc knight road store. nice
customers, nice management, I enjoyed it.

I'd have to agree wrt the staff. I am amazed at how much crap they
put up with from nickel-and-diming customers... the folks who would
try to go through the line with *two* freebie coupons; or, go through
with *one*, then head back around for a second trip for the *second*, etc.

A friend worked at one and had talked w/mgmt to allow us to redeem
multiple coupons for free screwdriver sets; we were hosting developmentally
disabled folks and the "free" tools made it less painful for us when
they'd walk off with them (accidentally). I'm sure HF could afford
the few pennies!

sadly my bad knee got so bad i couldnt walk and had to quit

the flashlight that survivedd both the washer and dryer was absolutely true,
i was amazed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

5) Shine it on a book that will teach a
person how to count.

Maff is hard.

Ezpecillie wen itz common corpse.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 16:02:16 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

5) Shine it on a book that will teach a
person how to count.

Maff is hard.

Ezpecillie wen itz common corpse.

Saw a real report one time about insolence and refusing an order
written by an employee.

.... I telled him not to do dit but he do dit any who.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 17:41:06 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I am leary of electric things that claim to sharpen; doing so is
done by removing metal... too easy to get carried away and end up with
"nothing" (I've watched a friend's chef knife grow visibly smaller
over the years as he's constantly "sharpening" it -- with a motorized
sharpener! : )

Don't they even sell knives new that are already that shape, that
comes from sharpening? As if having a knife that was sharpened for
hours already will make one a better cook.