Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 21:09:16 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Tue, 08 Dec 2015 10:36:10 -0800:

Pool pump repair may take up to 500 postings.
Same with garage door repairs.
Danny does do his research

Hi Oren,

The number of posts don't matter (that just means I'm responsive).
What matters is what *we* learn. Together.
And, how we help each other.

And I *always* appreciate your help and that from the others!
And, well, I learned far too much today!

Bad news!
The tire is ruined.

Why?
I'm soooooooo stupid.
So very stupid.
It's all my fault.

However, the good news is that I *learned* a lot!
And, there's much (much) more to learn about patching tires properly!

I have to run to pick up my sister's kids (they're staying with us
"temporarily" for the past year - which is ok with me - as long as
my sister's latest loser boyfriend doesn't get on our nerves!), so
I haven't uploaded the pictures yet, but, I'm gonna *experiment*
with the tire, since I ruined it already.

It turns out that a proper patch requires some special tools
and materials, such as explained in this quickie procedure.

1. Mark the hole outside and inside (circle 1/2" outside patch area)
2. Inspect for damage (no visible treads on the inside)
3. Probe the angle & thickness of the hole with a tapered awl
4. Optionally put down a solvent to remove the inside coat
5. Optionally use a half-moon scraper to scrape to vulcanized rubber
6. Buff with a semicircular tire-buffing wheel (2500to5000rpm only!)
7. CRITICAL! Three passes both ways with a carbide cutter!=== critical!
8. Brass bristle brush and/or vacuum away shavings
9. Fill the hole with cement and around the patch area (to chalk circle)
10 DO NOT TOUCH THE STEM OF THE PATCHPLUG!
11. Pull patchplug through the hole until it slightly dimples
12. Roll a round serrated stitcher across every mm of the patch
13. Optionally add a tire liner sealer to the inside
14. Cut the rubber stem flush outside.

Most of the tools I might get away with a dremel tool (on super low
speed) but I think the main tool that I need to buy is the
carbide bit which is a special bit to smooth down the sharp ends
of the cut belt.

Have you seen these tools in a kit?
a. Half-moon scraper
b. Semicircular buffing wheel
c. Carbide cutter === very important
d. Stitcher wheel

Anyway, I'll be back, as I took pictures, but I have to run to pick up
the kids.

Oh, Danny. The important thing to know is that you pick huckleberries
when they are ripe and you have a basket :-)

A professional accountant counts the beans.