Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
micky micky is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 22:00:05 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

clare wrote, on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 15:37:51 -0500:

The plug patch is far superior to the string. I'll use a string in
an emergency - reluctantly.

I keep the T-shaped handle thing in my car for emergencies.
What I really need, for emergencies, is air.
I keep buying that liquid-air stuff, and it keeps going bad.

What I really need is simply a tire-valve-hose.

They used to sell those for just this purpose. Probably at
JCWhitney. Havent' seen one for sale for 20 or 30 years.

That way, I can suck some air out of the other four tires to
fill the one tire that is temporarily patched from the outside
in a super emergency.

Problem is, there are never any emergencies.
The spare works just fine when I get a flat.

So, why repair on the road from the outside?

I had an occasion where the hole was showing and it was just as easy
to patch it on the car as off. The car was here, not on the road.

Another occasion when I couldn't get the tire off, but in that case
the hole wasn't showing or I didn't have any strings with me. I
forget.