Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
micky micky is offline

Default Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 18:26:23 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 16:34:49 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 12:56:18 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 16:45:40 -0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I'm gonna patch my first automotive tire this week.

I just use "strings", with rubber cement, and it works well.
I follow the instructions.

I should add that with the strings, you stuff the folded string in the
hole, then when the probe is in the tire, you rotate it a couple
turns, and that make a "ball" of string inside the tire, so the string
doesn't come out. That's why the probe shouldn't be a comple 0, but
have an opening in the side, like a C, so that it will come loose and
you can pull it out without any of the string.

I used to use "plugs'.

They worked well too.

My probe/rasp tool finally broke, so I bought a better quality one.
Maybe I bought a better quality of both.

Some webpage pointed to by some post here said holes up to 1/4" but my
impression is that a 3/8 or evne 1/2 screw makes a hole that is bigger
than 1/4" when something is holding the hole open, but closes down to
almost nothing when the screw is removed. ???

The hole in the cords of the tire are the size of what goes through -
and the "plug" needs to fill the hole right to the cords - so no - the
hole sdoes not "close in" requiring or allowing a smaller plug. It
closes down to LOOK like a smaller hole.

Okay. I forgot about cords.