Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 17:00:19 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 12:27:54 -0600
Jon Elson wrote:

snip
Sheesh, what a bunch of complexity, to do what used to be done with some
smooth rocks down at the riverside!

Still using the old Speed Queen Wringer Washer the parents bought in
the late 60's...

A friend of mine has a log cabin in the Missouri Ozarks. He has a
Frigidaire (I think) washer that must have been made in 1946 or something.
Seems a little too modern to have been made before most industries shut down
during the great depression, so I'm taking a wild guess. You fill it with a
water hose, drain it by putting the drain hose on the ground, and it has a
wringer. He says it still works, but I have not actually seen him fire it
up. Looks like a fair bit of trouble to use, and that wringer looks
seriously dangerous.

Oh, they are, but they're also a whole lot more effective than the
spin cycles on the majority of new washers. The downside is that they
press in creases in some materials. BTDT, got the wrinkles and
pinched fingers. I do _not_ miss working at the car wash where that
beastie was housed.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.