Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Trembleur

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 09:26:04 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I thought they had Aluminum welding figured out these days. Don't
they just pump in
an inert gas like Nitrogen (maybe) to help?

They do have aluminum welding figured out but it's different than steel
welding.

Yes, I know that. I learned oxy-acetylene and arc welding in school (we
actually did more brazing). Lots of new kinds of welding (plasma, pin?)
seemed to have been developed since then. Feel free to help update me
on the whys and where-fors! : ) When I was in school there was a
"rumor" that darn expensive (coated) brazing rods that could be used for
Aluminum existed. I can peen a rivet too (bet you didn't know that!)
; ) Maybe we can rivet this aluminum and save ourselves any further
inconvenience? : )

Rivet? Duct tape!

Bill

Aluminum begins corroding immediately upon cleaning and poses
different challenges. Since car bodies have been steel for all of these
years, most body shops don't have welders with tons of aluminum welding
experience.