Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default sent 7 posts by mistake

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 16:07:03 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Indeed. Most importantly from my pov they changed what cntl-tab
does. I"m told v4.2 is like 1.93 in this regard.

I just use this old version (2.0) and it works fine.

What OS? You may need to know what follows when you get later than
XP.

Normally, I'm either running XP or Win98. I dont use (or want) anything
newer than XP.

I was happy using v1.93 and XP, until one day, starting the computer
or maybe unhibernating, everything was fouled up. Trying again and
again made it worse each time**.

A friend had upgraded his business and given me one of three Vista
Office computers that had become surplus, so I moved to it
(temporarily). At that point, I connected the XP drive as an
external, non-system drive and found files missing, including most
Windows files. I still don't know how this happened, but this time I
had 3 backups (instead of the usual none.) No evidence of a virus in
any backup, though it occurs to me now that I should do another scan
before trying to use an entire backup to go back to XP.

But my Agent files and my Eudora files and all my data files were
still there, in the orginal and all the backups.

Copied over all of 1.93 to Vista and everything was fine for 3 weeks.
Then all of a sudden, it didn't work. Not the copy I was using or any
of the other copies! I was forced to go to version 6, which I had
paid for years earlier, but like you, didn't like. (I used it for the
Firefox ng only.)

What do you expect, its VISTA. (Piece of crap).
Agent 1.93 and 2.0 are real similar. I dont know what differences there
are, except 1.93 was free. I paid for 2.0 years ago. If I want to use it
on another computer, I just copy the whole folder, and it's then
registered, and all my subscribed groups and filters are intact.

I have tried the demo versions of Agent 4.x (maybe 3.x if there was
one), and either 5.x or 6.x. All of them changed the menu. After using
this one for close to 20 years, I just find it too hard to change. I get
****ed because I keep hitting the wrong menu items. I'm happy with 2.0
and if it works, dont fix it....

Of all the operating systems, I still like Win98 the best too. I'm using
it right now. But there are no longer any web browsers that work
properly for 98, so I have to use XP for any serious web browsing, or at
least Win2000, but that too has limited browsers.

I pretty much only have 2000 installed (on my 98 machine) so I can use
my 500GB or 1TB USB drives to do backups. 98 wont run them.