Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Extending ring mains

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
On 2015-12-07, ARW wrote:

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/12/2015 18:34, ARW wrote:

Because electricians and DIYers keep banging on about how much better
it
is to extend the ring?

Where in the real world a spur is fine for almost every application.

First time I heard that from an electrician!

The thing I find curious is that (IIRC!) the limit on the number of
unfused spurs is the number of non-spur sockets. So if you hit the
limit & need another spur, you just add another socket to the ring &
take the spur off that.

What about running the cable(s) through the celotex? Are there any
rules?

Just wondering as it is likely to carry relatively high current.

It is not going to be carrying a relative high current. It will carry a
short term 10A load when your wife dries her hair

Would making the hole(s) slightly larger be enough?

It makes no difference if you extend the ring or use a spur. You should
ensure sure that the current carrying capacity of the cable does not drop
below 20A.

There's nothing to stop a future occupier from plugging two kettles
in, though (I'm assuming it's a double socket). ;-)

In most cases it is all ********.

Apart from a kitchen what is the most likely demand on a ring circuit in
2015?

10A for a short while while the OH buggers around with her hair or 13A for a
little longer when you are stripping wallpaper when redecorating?

The final ring circuit can easily cope with the hair drying and the
wallpaper stripping at the same time.

It can even manage to boil two kettles from a double socket that are fed
from an unfused spur in a bedroom if you wish to.

--
Adam