Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default Extending ring mains

On 07/12/2015 18:34, ARW wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
One of the sockets that I need is now hidden behind a chest of drawers,
so I want to have a new one only about 1m away.

My plan is to disconnect one of the two cables going into the socket (it
is definitely part of the upstairs ring, not a spur), extending it to
reach the new socket, and run the return back to the original socket.

Why not simply spur from the original?

Because electricians and DIYers keep banging on about how much better it
is to extend the ring?

Where in the real world a spur is fine for almost every application.

First time I heard that from an electrician!

What about running the cable(s) through the celotex? Are there any rules?

Just wondering as it is likely to carry relatively high current. Would
making the hole(s) slightly larger be enough?