Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default Extending ring mains

On 07/12/2015 18:02, Roger Mills wrote:
On 07/12/2015 15:29, JoeJoe wrote:
One of the sockets that I need is now hidden behind a chest of drawers,
so I want to have a new one only about 1m away.

My plan is to disconnect one of the two cables going into the socket (it
is definitely part of the upstairs ring, not a spur), extending it to
reach the new socket, and run the return back to the original socket.

I intend to use crimps + heat shrinks to extend the cable, and run the
new cable at the back of the wall, under the eaves - there is a small
gap behind the wall that I can just about manage to squeeze through.

The wall both sockets are/will be fixed to is made up of plasterboard
with 100mm celotex insulation behind it. I'd like to leave at least some
of the celotex behind the backbox.
Would it be enough to simply drill a hole through the celotex, just
large enough for the two cables to go through, or does the hole need to
be much bigger (the socket is likely to be used with a hair dryer)?

Is there anything wrong with my plan?

TIA

No - what you suggest will work ok. But wouldn't it be easier just to
run a spur from the inaccessible socket rather than incorporating it
into the ring? Your new cable can still run in the air-space behind the
celotex without needing to take up any floorboards.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking about a spur initially, but just wanted to do a "more
proper/professional job"... ...and needed an excuse to buy a crimper ;-)