Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

On 12/06/2015 02:54 PM, Don Y wrote:

It was common (apparently still allowed) to "burn leaves" when I was
growing up. Town asked that you'd check with the fire marshall before
doing so (as he could then advise if forecast was not appropriate
for burning -- winds, etc.).

I get a little nostalgic for the smell of burning leaves.

Apparently, this wasn't enough to satisfy her indignation. So,
she took it on herself to call fire department and "report" it.
"What's the address, ma'am? ... Yup, he called earlier today
and was advised it would be a 'good' day to burn".

(sigh) You can choose your friends, but NOT your neighbors...

Spring and fall are the times when the Forest Service does their
controlled burns, and private parties burn their slash piles, ditches,
and so forth. A friend who is a volunteer fireman in a rural area says
it's very common for someone driving by on the interstate to call 911
and report a fire. They have to respond and find someone burning slash
in the backyard.

Of course, a good percentage of 911 calls are garbage anyway. I don't
mean the obvious pranks and false reports, just good neighbors calling
in anything. 'See something, say something' my butt. With the ubiquitous
cellphone in hand, there is no intermediate step that involves assessing
the situation.

We're ready for the block wardens.