Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Norman Rowing Norman Rowing is offline

Default Headlight (low beam) not working (Nissan Tino 1.8, 2001)

On 04/12/2015 15:20, JD wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote in
:

On 03/12/2015 21:38, newshound wrote:
On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
Car electrics... gha!

The offside low beam headlight on my Noosan Tino 1.8, 2001 has
stopped working

I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine

I checcked for voltage to the connectors. There is no voltage at the
connectors when the headlights are switched on.

I found two 15A fuses. one labeled headlight/L and headlight/R. They
appear
fine and I swapped them over and there was no difference.

The Haynes manual lighting circuit diagram shows a headlight relay,
but doesn't tell me where it is located.

I found a ralay named MAIN inder the bonnet in a nearside fusebox,
but it's
not the main beam that has quit. There are other relays in the same
fusebox
but none of thjem are labeleled 'healight'.

Can anyone tell if there is an offside low beam relay and where it
is located?

There is a box offside in the engine compartment with a few relays
but it doesn't say what they are. And they do not pull out easily.
They are so securely in place, I was afraid I'd break something if I
forced them free.

There are a couple of relays hidden behind the facia under the
steering
wheel.

Also, I was surprised to find no 'headlight relay' for a Nissan Tino
being
offered on eBay.

Many thanks,

JD

Cross-posted to car NG where Mr Cheerful (and others) will almost
certainly know!

If only one headlamp works ok and no power shows at the other bulb,
then the most likely fault is a blown headlamp fuse. Autodata is
incomplete regarding the fuse box contents, usually there will be one
fuse for each main beam and one for each dip beam, so 4 fuses in
total.
if in doubt as to which is which, just check them all. Turn the
lights on and check for power on each side of every fuse, the fuse
that has power on one side and not the other is the one.

Thanks for the replies everyone... I have found the correct fuse, but
it's intact. What I have now discovered is that there is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other. Does this indicate a
broken wire somewhere? If so, would it make sense to simply take a 2"
piece of wire with the ends stripped, and wedge one end into the positive
side of the nearside lowbeam fuse socket and then jam the other end into
the positive side of the offside lowbeam fuse socket - and then insert
the fuses, whichch would keep the wire securely in place at both ends?
Yes, it's a Jerry-rig solution, but it should work in theory, shouldn't
it? If you agree that thsi should work without any major problems, I'll
do that rather than spend what could be an eternity out in the cold
trying to trace the elusive break.

TIA

JD

Why **** about dangerously? Do the job properly and stop putting others