Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Headlight (low beam) not working (Nissan Tino 1.8, 2001)

Car electrics... gha!

The offside low beam headlight on my Noosan Tino 1.8, 2001 has stopped
working

I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine

I checcked for voltage to the connectors. There is no voltage at the
connectors when the headlights are switched on.

I found two 15A fuses. one labeled headlight/L and headlight/R. They appear
fine and I swapped them over and there was no difference.

The Haynes manual lighting circuit diagram shows a headlight relay, but
doesn't tell me where it is located.

I found a ralay named MAIN inder the bonnet in a nearside fusebox, but it's
not the main beam that has quit. There are other relays in the same fusebox
but none of thjem are labeleled 'healight'.

Can anyone tell if there is an offside low beam relay and where it is
located?

There is a box offside in the engine compartment with a few relays but it
doesn't say what they are. And they do not pull out easily. They are so
securely in place, I was afraid I'd break something if I forced them free.

There are a couple of relays hidden behind the facia under the steering
wheel.

Also, I was surprised to find no 'headlight relay' for a Nissan Tino being
offered on eBay.

Many thanks,

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JD wrote:

[...]

I'd be surprised if it used two relays for dip beam. No reason they'd be
on separately. Of course if it has a CAN bus system, all bets are off.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not being a car electrics expert, but if the normal beam works, checking the
fuses you checked is hardly going to be the place to look. I'd have though
that they would be only switching a single pole in any case so maybe one
needs to be a bit more discriminating when following the wiring.

Id be first tempted to look for exposed wires that might have suffered
some damage before giving up though.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"JD" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JD writes:

Car electrics... gha!

The offside low beam headlight on my Noosan Tino 1.8, 2001 has stopped
working

I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine

I checcked for voltage to the connectors. There is no voltage at the
connectors when the headlights are switched on.

I found two 15A fuses. one labeled headlight/L and headlight/R. They appear
fine and I swapped them over and there was no difference.

The Haynes manual lighting circuit diagram shows a headlight relay, but
doesn't tell me where it is located.

Check the handbook. That info has been in the handbook for all cars
I've owned and friend's cars I've repaired.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
[...]

Cross-posted to car NG where Mr Cheerful (and others) will almost
certainly know!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 03/12/2015 21:38, newshound wrote:
On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
[...]

If only one headlamp works ok and no power shows at the other bulb,
then the most likely fault is a blown headlamp fuse. Autodata is
incomplete regarding the fuse box contents, usually there will be one
fuse for each main beam and one for each dip beam, so 4 fuses in total.
if in doubt as to which is which, just check them all. Turn the
lights on and check for power on each side of every fuse, the fuse that
has power on one side and not the other is the one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mrcheerful wrote in
:

On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies everyone... I have found the correct fuse, but
it's intact. What I have now discovered is that there is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other. Does this indicate a
broken wire somewhere? If so, would it make sense to simply take a 2"
piece of wire with the ends stripped, and wedge one end into the positive
side of the nearside lowbeam fuse socket and then jam the other end into
the positive side of the offside lowbeam fuse socket - and then insert
the fuses, whichch would keep the wire securely in place at both ends?
Yes, it's a Jerry-rig solution, but it should work in theory, shouldn't
it? If you agree that thsi should work without any major problems, I'll
do that rather than spend what could be an eternity out in the cold
trying to trace the elusive break.

TIA

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

JD wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote in
:

On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
[...]

broken wire somewhere? [snip]

What you've written does not make sense. If you take the fuse out of
course one side of the fuse socket will have voltage - from the battery;
and the other side - to the light - will not.

So if the fuse is good it will carry the current from one side of its
socket to the other. What might be happening is that the fuse is not
connecting properly in the socket. Or that when mechanically stressed
by insertion into the socket it actually goes open-circuit. I suggest
you try a new fuse in its place.

--
Graham J

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In message , Graham J
writes

What you've written does not make sense. If you take the fuse out of
course one side of the fuse socket will have voltage - from the
battery; and the other side - to the light - will not.

So if the fuse is good it will carry the current from one side of its
socket to the other. What might be happening is that the fuse is not
connecting properly in the socket. Or that when mechanically stressed
by insertion into the socket it actually goes open-circuit. I suggest
you try a new fuse in its place.

Or swap with the good one?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
JD wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone... I have found the correct fuse, but
it's intact. What I have now discovered is that there is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other.

That would be correct if the fuse was good.

Does this indicate a broken wire somewhere?

Is there volts between the fuse and ground?

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 04/12/2015 15:20, JD wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote in
:

On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
[...]

Why **** about dangerously? Do the job properly and stop putting others
at risk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 15:42:46 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

What you've written does not make sense. If you take the fuse out

of
course one side of the fuse socket will have voltage - from the
battery; ...

When the lights are supposed to be on ...

... and the other side - to the light - will not.

So if the fuse is good it will carry the current from one side of

its
socket to the other. What might be happening is that the fuse is

not
connecting properly in the socket. Or that when mechanically

stressed
by insertion into the socket it actually goes open-circuit. I

suggest
you try a new fuse in its place.

Or swap with the good one?

Which may become a bad fuse if there is an overload in that circuit,
same for a nw fuse of course. Is the OP checking the fuses visually?
It is sometimes not visually obvious that a fuse has blown, it needs
an elctrical test really.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 December 2015 14:28:53 UTC, JD wrote:
Car electrics... gha!

The offside low beam headlight on my Noosan Tino 1.8, 2001 has stopped
working

I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine

What check did you make? Visual? Electrical?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Which may become a bad fuse if there is an overload in that circuit,
same for a nw fuse of course. Is the OP checking the fuses visually?
It is sometimes not visually obvious that a fuse has blown, it needs
an electrical test really.

When I had a intermittent earth fault in my car wiring, I
produced a very useful test lead. I took an old headlamp bulb
(well, the main beam filament is still OK, how could I throw it
away?) and soldered on a pair of leads with crock clips. In place
of the fuse which kept blowing I then connected this assembly.
Whilst all was well on the load side, the circuits worked as
normal, the bulb filament was still cold. When the faulty cable
touched earthed metal, the bulb glowed brightly, but there was no
dangerous overcurrent.

NB do this carefully, as the circuit is no longer protected.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Tim Lamb wrote in news:244COuS2RbYWFw22
@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

So if the fuse is good it will carry the current from one side of its
socket to the other. What might be happening is that the fuse is not
connecting properly in the socket. Or that when mechanically stressed
by insertion into the socket it actually goes open-circuit. I suggest
you try a new fuse in its place.

Or swap with the good one?

I did try that and it made no difference.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 05/12/2015 10:02, JD wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote in news:244COuS2RbYWFw22
@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk:

So if the fuse is good it will carry the current from one side of its
socket to the other. What might be happening is that the fuse is not
connecting properly in the socket. Or that when mechanically stressed
by insertion into the socket it actually goes open-circuit. I suggest
you try a new fuse in its place.

Or swap with the good one?

I did try that and it made no difference.

JD

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down the
actual fault when the weather is better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JD wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone... I have found the correct fuse, but
it's intact. What I have now discovered is that there is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other.

That would be correct if the fuse was good.

Does this indicate a broken wire somewhere?

Is there volts between the fuse and ground?

No, there is zero volts between the ssde of the fuse socket that is
supposed to be live, and ground.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

Which may become a bad fuse if there is an overload in that circuit,
same for a nw fuse of course. Is the OP checking the fuses visually?
It is sometimes not visually obvious that a fuse has blown, it needs
an elctrical test really.

The fuses are fine; I've swapped the left and right fuses over and one
headlight comes on and the other still doesn't, same as before.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mrcheerful wrote in news:NKy8y.481307$wD3.212918
@fx45.am4:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down the
actual fault when the weather is better.

Thanks; I was thinking similar, but my idea is to solder a short lead from
the live side of the nearside headlight fuse holder to the supposedly live
(but not) side of the offside headlight fuse holder. That way, I'd have a
fuse between the battery positive and the headlight. That should be a
simple, effective fix, yes?

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

JD wrote in
:

Mrcheerful wrote in
news:NKy8y.481307$wD3.212918 @fx45.am4:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down
the actual fault when the weather is better.

Thanks; I was thinking similar, but my idea is to solder a short lead
from the live side of the nearside headlight fuse holder to the
supposedly live (but not) side of the offside headlight fuse holder.
That way, I'd have a fuse between the battery positive and the
headlight. That should be a simple, effective fix, yes?

JD

......or would that overload a relay or the healight switch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 05/12/15 10:45, JD wrote:
JD wrote in
:

Mrcheerful wrote in
news:NKy8y.481307$wD3.212918 @fx45.am4:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down
the actual fault when the weather is better.

Thanks; I was thinking similar, but my idea is to solder a short lead
from the live side of the nearside headlight fuse holder to the
supposedly live (but not) side of the offside headlight fuse holder.
That way, I'd have a fuse between the battery positive and the
headlight. That should be a simple, effective fix, yes?

JD

.....or would that overload a relay or the healight switch?

Probably.

Its almost certainly either a duff wire
joint or the relay for that bulb

--
the biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mrcheerful wrote in news:NKy8y.481307$wD3.212918
@fx45.am4:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down the
actual fault when the weather is better.

Thanks. The trouble is that the powered side of the fuse holder is dead,
even when the lights are switched on. Hence my proposed fix (pls see my
message of a moment ago)..

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

newshound wrote:

On 03/12/2015 14:28, JD wrote:
[...]

This any help for relay location?

http://tinyurl.com/nccz6p5

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 05/12/2015 10:51, JD wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote in news:NKy8y.481307$wD3.212918
@fx45.am4:

the simplest option is to make up a fused flylead that goes from the
powered side of the fuse holder direct to the deadlight, hunt down the
actual fault when the weather is better.

Thanks. The trouble is that the powered side of the fuse holder is dead,
even when the lights are switched on. Hence my proposed fix (pls see my
message of a moment ago)..

JD

that would put double the load on the existing working fuse and wiring,
the relay is designed to power both, so that will be ok. I would try it
using the existing rating of fuse, if that survives then it will be ok
for a while at least.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
JD wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JD wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone... I have found the correct fuse, but
it's intact. What I have now discovered is that there is no voltage
between one side of the fuse socket and the other.

That would be correct if the fuse was good.

Does this indicate a broken wire somewhere?

Is there volts between the fuse and ground?

No, there is zero volts between the ssde of the fuse socket that is
supposed to be live, and ground.

Right - so no volts getting to the fuse. Which means the fault is in the
feed to it.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mrcheerful wrote in news:GCz8y.481474$wD3.472160
@fx45.am4:

that would put double the load on the existing working fuse and wiring,
the relay is designed to power both, so that will be ok. I would try it
using the existing rating of fuse, if that survives then it will be ok
for a while at least.

Both fuses themnselves are faultless and intact. The problem is no power to
the fuse (in the case of the light that doesn't come on). As for a relay, I
cannot find one that has ane effect on the headlight that does work. Is it
certain that there IS one for the low beam, do you think?

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:n3ufbf$hn0$1
@news.albasani.net:

Thanks; I was thinking similar, but my idea is to solder a short lead
from the live side of the nearside headlight fuse holder to the
supposedly live (but not) side of the offside headlight fuse holder.
That way, I'd have a fuse between the battery positive and the
headlight. That should be a simple, effective fix, yes?

JD

.....or would that overload a relay or the healight switch?

Probably.

Its almost certainly either a duff wire
joint or the relay for that bulb

A relay would be easy to check, if I could find one. I can't find a relay
that has any effect on the working lowbeam headlight. I presume that the
two realys (one for each lowbeam bulb) would be at the same location.

Would both headlights go through a single relay, or is it more likely that
there is one for each lowbeam bulb?

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

JD wrote:

{...]

Both fuses themnselves are faultless and intact. The problem is no power
to the fuse (in the case of the light that doesn't come on). As for a
relay, I cannot find one that has ane effect on the headlight that does
work. Is it certain that there IS one for the low beam, do you think?

JD

Did you look at the link I posted earlier? It clearly lists two headlamp
relays, with a diagram showing their location.

There will be one relay for dip, and one for main. It's possible that there
are separate contacts on each relay for LH and RH side, in which case the
fault might be the dip relay.

It's more likely that there is a single contact feeding one wire to the fuse
box, which then splits within the base of the box. In that case the fault is
likely to be a break under the fuse box.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JD wrote:
A relay would be easy to check, if I could find one. I can't find a
relay that has any effect on the working lowbeam headlight. I presume
that the two realys (one for each lowbeam bulb) would be at the same
location.

Would both headlights go through a single relay, or is it more likely
that there is one for each lowbeam bulb?

I can't think of a reason to use two relays, since standard auto ones are
more than capable of handling the current for two headlamps.

Have you looked for a schematic online?

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JD wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JD wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone... I have found the correct fuse,
but it's intact. What I have now discovered is that there is no
voltage between one side of the fuse socket and the other.

That would be correct if the fuse was good.

Does this indicate a broken wire somewhere?

Is there volts between the fuse and ground?

No, there is zero volts between the ssde of the fuse socket that is
supposed to be live, and ground.

Right - so no volts getting to the fuse. Which means the fault is in
the feed to it.

I posted the Hayens schematic he

http://tinyurl.com/hv3ssfb

Can anyone decipher that and tell me what the relay should look like?

BTW, I'm puzzled by that schematic, because it doesn't show any single-
filament headlights. My low beam lights are separate, single-filament
bulbs.

TIA!

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Have you looked for a schematic online?

I've posted one he

http://tinyurl.com/hv3ssfb

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Also, I was surprised to find no 'headlight relay' for a Nissan Tino
being offered on eBay.

I'd be surprised if it used two relays for dip beam. No reason they'd be
on separately. Of course if it has a CAN bus system, all bets are off.

I can;t see any ref to a CAN system in the Haynes manual.

Chris Whelan (in an adjecent reply that I couldn;t respond to within this
group for some reason) sent an image of the other relay box. While the
relays in my box in that location didn't correspond to the ones in the
image, I took them all out and the working lowbeam headlight still
switched on and off, so I guess it's none of those.

I'm baffled! SURELY Nissan would put a headlight relay in a place that's
easy to locate, wouldn't they??

There is nothing in the car's handbook about relays. And Haynes shows a
circuit diagram, but not the actual location of the relays.

ALL I can find is a MAIN relay (presumably meaning main beam) but that has
no effect when I remove it.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
JD wrote:
Right - so no volts getting to the fuse. Which means the fault is in
the feed to it.

I posted the Hayens schematic he

http://tinyurl.com/hv3ssfb

Can anyone decipher that and tell me what the relay should look like?

BTW, I'm puzzled by that schematic, because it doesn't show any single-
filament headlights. My low beam lights are separate, single-filament
bulbs.

Typical Haynes - trying to show every possible combination of all variants
in the same diagram. How I hate them. ;-)

Looks like there are only relays involved if you have daytime running
lights?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 15:45:14 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Typical Haynes - trying to show every possible combination of all
variants in the same diagram. How I hate them. ;-)

And the Haynes manual for my model of Renault doesn't have my
engine size, the only mention is that it isn't included.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Typical Haynes - trying to show every possible combination of all
variants in the same diagram. How I hate them. ;-)

And the Haynes manual for my model of Renault doesn't have my
engine size, the only mention is that it isn't included.

Haynes manuals are not even very useful as a door stop, let alone a
reference. If I had the time and was paid to do it, I would visit them
and point out some of the errors I have noticed from the distant past
when I used to refer to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 19:00:02 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 05/12/2015 09:59, JD wrote:
wrote in
news:4a56e299-a5da-41b3-8d2a-df8077ea4ae3 @googlegroups.com:

I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine

What check did you make? Visual? Electrical?

Ohm meter and visual. The Ohms reading indicates it has resistance, so
the filament must be intact, and it looks intact too.

JD

How much resistance?
A working 20A fuse should read pretty close to zero with an ohm meter.

He was referring to the lamp filament resistance, not the fuse link.

I have a couple of 12v 55W quartz halogen capsule lamps which are
probably identical to the ones JD's testing. The hot, working resistance
calculates out to 2.62 ohms.

However, since the hot resistance of a tungsten filament lamp is
typically an order of magnitude greater than its cold temperature, a
resistance check with a multimeter on the ohms scale will be trying to
measure a mere quarter of an ohm resistance value which, with most
multimeters, can be damned difficult to read or distinguish from the test
lead's own resistance.

Whilst many modern DMMs are calibrated to tenths of an ohm on their 200
ohms scale, thermocouple effects and test probe contact resistance make
getting 'tenth of an ohm' readings rather problematical. With a lot of
care and determination, I can usually get the short circuit test to
stabilise at 0.6 ohms for the test lead resistance and with similar care
when testing the lamp plus test lead resistance, see a 0.8 to 0.9 ohm
reading on my 55W test lamp.

In practice, of course, I'm happy to see a reading that approximates a
short circuit when testing such low voltage lamp filaments when all I'm
doing is simply to prove they haven't gone open circuit.

In the early days of automotive electrics, it was standard practice to
eliminate any fusing protection on headlight circuits to avoid the
consequences of a total blackout due to a tired fuse blowing whilst
driving along an unlit road.

Any resulting electrical wiring fire was deemed less of a risk than a
possibly fatal collision due to a sudden blackout - the theory being that
at least one of the headlamps would remain lit long enough for the driver
to bring the vehicle safely to a halt, pop the bonnet release (in later
vehicles) and jump out, fire extinguisher in hand and possibly a suitable
wrench to disconnect the battery (or, at the *very* least, *safely*
abandon the vehicle along with any passengers before the vehicle became a
raging inferno).

Later on (sometime in the fifties or sixties?) the manufacturers started
fitting safety fuses initially one per headlamp circuit (protecting both
dip and drive filaments on each side) then 4 fuses to protect each
filament or lamp. When relays started to used to control the vehicle's
driving lamps, it was most likely a single changeover relay to begin with
before this single point of failure was duplicated then quadruplicated to
eliminate the risk of a total blackout by any one component failure.

I'd imagine all modern vehicles (circa ten years old or less) will have
not just a seperate fuse link per lamp filament but also a seperate relay
for each lamp filament (not just duplicate contacts on a single coil
relay).

I don't envy JD's task of tracking down this particular fault. Vehicle
electrics wiring diagrams are generally a total and utter shambles,
seemingly designed more as a technically challenging puzzle designed to
exercise the minds of individuals possessed of the intellect of the
eponymous "Sherlock Holmes" character than as an aid to diagnosis by us
mere mortals.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 19:00:02 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
In the early days of automotive electrics, it was standard practice to
eliminate any fusing protection on headlight circuits to avoid the
consequences of a total blackout due to a tired fuse blowing whilst
driving along an unlit road.

Any resulting electrical wiring fire was deemed less of a risk than a
possibly fatal collision due to a sudden blackout.

I experienced the Sudden Blackout once, and it was very frightening. I'd
just arrived back from a holiday on the Isle of Wight and was driving
through the New Forest on my way back from Lymington. I thought that my
headlight pattern wasn't quite right and that the lights weren't as bright
as they should have been. When I came up behind another car, I saw that I
was right: there was only a reflection from one headlight - the other bulb
had blown. I decided to carry on to Brockenhurst (the nearest settlement
ahead) where I knew there'd be streetlights to supplement the little torch I
had, to help me change the bulb, since it's a bugger trying to fumble in the
restricted space between the headlamp housing and the engine.

I'd only gone a mile further and the other bulb blew. I now just had the
sidelights, which are no use at all the illuminate the road (eg white
lights, kerbs) ahead. I drove most of the way on full beam, having to revert
to blackout (apart from sidelights) whenever there was an oncoming car, and
keeping well back from the car in front to avoid dazzling him. With
hindsight I should have used the front fog lights but I forgot about those.
Eventually I managed to find somewhere that I could safely pull off the road
to change at least one of the bulbs (I just had one spare).

Late at night, there were no shops open to buy a second bulb, and even
Rownham Services on the motorway only had 24V and not 12V H7 bulbs - fine
for HGVs but no use for cars.

At least one bulb, fitted on the offside to indicate the boundary of my car
to oncoming cars, was enough to get me home.

Now I try to carry *two* spare headlight bulbs!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote in
web.com:

Ohm meter and visual. The Ohms reading indicates it has resistance,
so the filament must be intact, and it looks intact too.

JD

How much resistance?
A working 20A fuse should read pretty close to zero with an ohm meter.

Apologies; I meant to say it has "very low resistance" (as opposed to the
very high resistance of a blown bulb).

JD