Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Radio equipment

John Williamson wrote:

On 01/12/2015 10:44, Chris J Dixon wrote:

No problem - I have an Office 365 subscription, which comes with
far more storage than I will fill. It took a while to get the
initial data uploaded, but updates are much more manageable.

You actually trust Microsoft with all your data?

I checked on whether Office 365 would do what I want and it turned out
that if I couldn't get an internet connection, I had no access to my
data. The same with Outlook.com. So I paid for a decent system that
keeps all my data local and secure, unless I deliberately let it out.
Even my phone doesn't use the cloud for anything even remotely private.

I just synchronise my computer with a network attached HD or another
computer every time I close down, and haven't lost any data due to
hardware failure in 30 years or so. In fact, my system makes it almost
impossible to *deliberately* lose any data, as it gets restored the next
time my sync software connects to a copy anywhere on the network.

Do I trust MS not to do something unwanted with the data I have
uploaded? It is a risk I am willing to take.

Is it my only backup? Certainly not. I have both NAS and USB HD
for regular backups.

In the event of the unthinkable (I suppose I have actually
thought it) then whatever I can get back from off site is
worthwhile.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK