Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
Jim Lesurf Jim Lesurf is offline

Default Radio equipment

In article , Chris J Dixon
wrote:
My hi-fi system dates way back, and is built of separates (1). It
includes an FM tuner, and by means of an additional selector can take
inputs from TV (2) or computer. There are speakers in all three
downstairs rooms.

Much of the time I am listening live to R4 or R2, otherwise downloaded
podcasts or my own music collection, all of which has been copied to
MP3. R6 music (via TV) only on Sunday morning for Cerys.

I am wondering if it is time to replace or add to the radio tuner, with
something that will also cope with DAB, maybe even internet radio.

Main questions here a

A) Are you happy with the sound of your existing FM tuner? If so, is the
problem:

B) You want to hear stations that aren't on FM?

C) How much concern do you have for audio quality? You mention 'MP3' but
don't mention a bitrate.

D) Live or on demand?

The answers would determine your best course. If you're happy with what you
have, why change? (That is meant as a real question: e.g. do you think
there are other non-FM stations you might like well enough to buy new kit
before you know?)

Is this worthwhile, or more bother than it is worth? Are things changing
so fast that anything I buy would risk being obsolete, or of little use,
in a short time.

In terms of sound quality the cutting edge tends to be BBC R3 via the
iplayer. You may find DAB OK, but it does use low bitrates at times, and
may be level compressed when iplayer isn't.

You may also find DAB or Freeview gives you mono at times when iplayer or
FM are stereo. (And if you're in Scotland, Freeview loses some BBC stations
in the late afternoon or evening.)

To avoid 'obsolescence' for iplayer/internet radio you'd need to sort out a
simple computer and DAC/network player. Then download from the iplayer or
use the BBC's web interface. I now use get_iplayer for the bulk of my radio
listening. Listen as and when you want, with good quality.

The advantage of using your own computer is you can update the software,
etc, to keep in step with developments. Buy a closed box for internet
access (or a 'smart TV/radio') and you may be stranded shortly afterwards.
Easier when it works... but then you hit the problem that the makers
'orphan' it because they'd prefer you to buy their new model when there is
a change that stops your existing one working. Caveat Emptor.

Jim