Posted to alt.home.repair

Default commode occasionally runs already replaced flapper still doing it

On 11/25/2015 3:13 AM, Al roarke wrote:
On 11/24/2015 09:20 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I have a toilet that runs like that (small tank-to-bowl leak). I've
tried that, after replacing the fill valve, flapper, and flapper seat
more than once. No effect on the leak & running (except when I made it
worse for awhile, flapper chain a little too short). The food coloring
test doesn't help (it shows in the bowl, but I already know it leaks).
It diffuses too thoroughly to show the location of the leak.

With mine, I think the only thing left it can be is the flush valve. I
replaced it once already about 5 years ago. There was originally a
brass one in place and it was a bear to remove as the brass nut almost
seemed like it fused to the tank, but I managed to free the assembly.
Replacement was with Fluidmaster plastic. Now in my head I'm trying to
decide if I want to again go with Fluidmaster or opt for the brass as I
see brass is still available. The brass that had originally been in
there must have lasted 25 years.

Does the tank have over flow tube? Is the water level
below the top of the tube?

I'd choose brass over other metal, even if it
costs a bit more. The savings is over time, and
having a dependable toilet.

--
..
Christopher A. Young