Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 20:41:36 -0500, Bill
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
On 11/21/2015 1:39 PM, Bill wrote:

Drawing programs actually help reduce the symptoms of BS, by allowing
the prospective creator to revisit some of the technicalities in
advance, resulting in a savings of time, mental anguish, and materials
(as has been adequately discussed here before). This does not imply that
the drawing created needs to be complete, not at all--just adequate for
its purpose...you don't get paid for the drawing (unless you do, and
that's a different discussion).

Bill

I just built, I had it in my head.
Sometimes I would come up with a new idea while working on it.

The "design phase" we're talking about is designed to keep just
that (expensive thing) from occurring!

I have never built to plans. Just my head. I do have rough drawings
and sizes when working on big things, you need to, to avoid material
loss.
And also if something requires an operation before another.. I make
those notes, so I don't wind up in a spot without a way to hold, or
get to a feature.

Yes, last time I did drywall work, I drew pencil lines on the walls and
divided it up into 30 numbered parts, so I could keep track of how much
mud I had on each part of the walls, my tape defects, etc. I recall how
thankful I was in the spring when, I resumed my work, that I had my
"list" (because, covered with mud, they all looked the same!)

Why didn't you just write the information on the walls? ;-)/2