Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

On 11/21/2015 2:14 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:46:41 -0500, krw wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 00:15:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/20/2015 8:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

It really helps prevent many mistakes if you have a scale drawing
instead of a picture in your head. ;~)

This. I always sketch out what I'm planning to do, with
dimensions, before I start. Pencil and paper, because
I'm old-school. And generally not a true scale drawing
(I could do that, I worked as a draftsman a long time
ago), since I find as long as I work out and record all
the dimensions, I don't need it to be scale.

John

I was never a draftsman but was headed in that direction when in school.
The trouble with paper and pencil is that the drawing, and especially if
not to scale, only gives you an ideal/concept. It does not necessarily
give correct dimensions. You can put dimensions on the drawing but if
not to scale you have no way to guarantee if the drawing is doable with
the dimensions you want.
With software you have the ability to have the program double check your
thoughts.

Yes, and you can even do the jointery in software so you get those
dimensions right, too. Doing everything is software first saves a lot
of trees.

Properly programmed, the software between your ears can do every bit
as accurate a job - and for the older ones of us it can even be done
more quickly.

I'll call you on using only your brain to keep up with hundreds of parts
on a project.