Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Syndrome

In article ,
says...

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 11/20/2015 2:17 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/20/15 12:41 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/20/2015 11:26 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
After a few decades of hands-on experience, I now often see a book
or website giving "expert" advice on how to do something and it's
often either wrong or very inefficient. I remember learning these
"wrong" ways and also remember figuring out the *better ways* by
simply doing it instead of reading about it.

Just last night read a couple of articles from kitchen and bath
magazines (featured on iPad's FlipBoard, so you know it casts a wide
net) that purport to advise people on remodeling their kitchen and
bath space, the different types of cabinetry, doors, etc.

Information is so false, off base and far from reality that it should
be a criminal offense to have published it.

There's a website called "expert village" that purportedly provides
instructions for doing any number of thing provided by "experts" in each
field. I've come to nickname many of them as "expert village idiots."

Here's an example that I know you will enjoy, Karl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_j2LE07G0

It's a good thing I wasn't eating soup when I watched that.

It mostly went over my head, but I could tell from the comments that it
was somehow "wrong".
I thought he "talked too much"!

I was an "expert" on one of those sites for a while. Didn't want to be,
wasn't my idea, my boss got invited to be the "expert" and didn't have
time to do it so he told me to do it. Aero engineering or programming
I'd be fine with--been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. Art,
antiques, and jewelry, not a clue, and that's what he had me doing. I
told him I didn't have a clue, he didn't care, then he was surprised
when they figured out that I didn't have a clue and pulled his account.