Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Syndrome

In article , says...

-MIKE- writes:

Reminds me of the tenured professors where I used to work. I called
them "professional students," because many of them never had any actual,
real world, work experience. They went from high school to college, to
grad school, to being a doctoral candidate, to teaching and never did
anything else in their lives. (Think: the professor from "Back To
School" with Rodney Dangerfield.)

That might possibly be true for some social science professor. It is
not even close to true for Engineering professors, most of whom do
as well as teach.

In any case, blanket statement such as you've made regarding 'tenured
professions' are nonsense, as all schools and all professors are not
alike.

Getting your real-world knowledge form a comedy film doesn't help.

I learned more engineering in my first month at United Technologies than
I did in four years at Georgia Tech.

Academia has long since gone off in its own direction that has little to
do with life outside of academia.

You haven't seen a new hire with a computer science degree from a highly
regarded university struggling to write a simple program.