Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

John McCoy wrote:

I get that you like to make a drawing, and let the
results of that drawing determine the measurements.
I don't. I make the measurements work, and don't
worry about the exactness of the drawing.

I pretty much get what you are saying as I did the same thing for
years...make a rough sketch, add dimensions. If, eg, I wanted to make a box
24" x 10" x 3" it made no difference if the long side was 8x the shortest in
my sketch, what counted were the dimensions.

I still do that sometimes but I also use SketchUp. It does, of course, give
me an accurate drawing but just as importantly (to me, at least) is the fact
that it gives me an accurate idea of how things are going to look. It also
lets me easily play with variations or modify. And, using my drawing, I can
do a material takeoff and and a cutting list. It's handy