Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Syndrome

woodchucker wrote in
:

I happend to fly model airplanes (he was a team member) with a
professor, who was a phd, a head of the engineering dept, and he had
never worked in the private sector, only for the university. No I
won't mention which Univ. He was good, smart, had to get grants to
keep the program going. He did some neat stuff, but He never worked
outside of the university. He's retired .. He had to have the best of
everything, but did not put the time into practicing. He jumped from
thing to thing, because he never mastered the skills required for any
of the disciplines. He thought it was the equipment that would make
it better.
I cared less about the equip, and concentrated on flying, strategy,
and learning the ropes.

I also worked with 2 professors in a finance company. They did work
for the company. Their code sucked, and their designs sucked. They
were not practical.

I also worked in the pharma research area (I'm IT) , where some of the
phd's needed assistants to prevent them from getting lost, or for
other basic reasons.

Yes it does happen. Some of the least educated can be the most
practical, or self sufficient. But there are real smart guys who are
also very down to earth. The problem is there are more that are not
well grounded.

That's why I say formal education is not the path to true intelligence,
merely one of the steps along the way.

I also believe that after a certain point, formal education holds you
back.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.