Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beginners Syndrome

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Yep, and it - AKA frugality - can be learned.

When I was young and in the Navy, my camera spent most of its time in
pawn shops. Somewhere around my freshman year in college I started
being more frugal.

Now - 60 years later - I save bits and pieces of wood...some offcuts,
some knots cut out (I resaw the latter and make pulls from them, lots
of swirly grain). At the moment I am making drawer dividers, all from
"scrap".

I also glue up small pieces to make bigger ones. All our closet
hanging rods are made that way from butternut offcuts from when I made
all our passage doors.

I not only enjoy saving the $$, I enjoy finding a use for them.

I made a habit of building entire high school shop projects out of the
off-cuts and scraps saved from other's projects. First day of building,
I'd be the one in the classroom, piece of paper on the desk finalizing
(or starting ;-)) my plans... and generally avoiding the material
gathering rush.

It's harder to do that now, despite all the variety of pieces I have I
never seem to have the one I want. Things get complicated when you get
beyond 1x12 pine boards.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.