Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

On 11/20/2015 3:12 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
On 11/20/2015 2:17 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/20/15 12:41 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/20/2015 11:26 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
After a few decades of hands-on experience, I now often see a book
or website giving "expert" advice on how to do something and it's
often either wrong or very inefficient. I remember learning these
"wrong" ways and also remember figuring out the *better ways* by
simply doing it instead of reading about it.

Just last night read a couple of articles from kitchen and bath
magazines (featured on iPad's FlipBoard, so you know it casts a wide
net) that purport to advise people on remodeling their kitchen and
bath space, the different types of cabinetry, doors, etc.

Information is so false, off base and far from reality that it should
be a criminal offense to have published it.

There's a website called "expert village" that purportedly provides
instructions for doing any number of thing provided by "experts" in each
field. I've come to nickname many of them as "expert village idiots."

Here's an example that I know you will enjoy, Karl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_j2LE07G0

It's a good thing I wasn't eating soup when I watched that.

It mostly went over my head, but I could tell from the comments that it
was somehow "wrong".
I thought he "talked too much"!

First he was simply playing in 4/4 time - the most common time signature
that practically every pop song is in- but *counting* to five instead,
running over into the next measure. Then it went completely off the
rails. He was playing in something like the square root of 7 over Pi.

I almost didn't survive the video that YouTube put up as a natural segue
from that one: "Expert Village Fails". I could scarcely breathe it was
so hilarious.

My favorites were the drum instructor and the very last guy, who was
somehow trying to show us how to build a recording studio. I couldn't
figure out what part of recording studio building he was trying to show
us, but he managed to squeeze in a spectacular number of errors using
just a cinder block, a drill, anchors, furring strips and glue.